Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Minnesota Traffic Live: This could have been fatal

Found on YouTube:

Tow truck loses part of a vehicle. It looks like it could have been a whole door. Not only could this have killed somebody on contact when it flew off but it looks like it caused quite a bit of damage to the vehicles that hit it and almost caused some major accidents to the ones that missed it.

We are not posting the part or the reason, as a seasoned Tow Operator knows it all to well.

If you look hard at the beginning of the Video you will recognize the part that came off. Once you recognize the part the reason will be clear to those who know. 

Please reply with the part and the reason... Also, has this ever happened to you. It's a painful lesson learned in the School of Hard Knocks. We at TowForce use this platform so that New Tow Operators do not learn this way.

This could have been very bad. It looks like it might of been a hard cover for a pick up truck bed. I can not tell it looks like he was hauling a pick up truck loaded backwards. I might be wrong. If that was, the air got under it and ripped it off. This why we try and not haul pick up trucks with a bed cover backwards. If we must we double check to make sure it is locked try and put a strap over it if possible. If we can not strap it we go to a safe spot to unload, turn around and reload forward. About 40 years ago I was towing a pick up truck backwards with a cab height topper on it and got about4 to 5 miles down the road and I saw it in my mirror starting to move around. I got lucky and nothing happened. I pulled off the road dropped it and hooked from the front and pulled the drive shaft. The problem was it had broken the front u joint and that is why I had hooked up from the rear. After that we do not tow or haul those backwards if we do not have to. What is surprising in the video the driver does not strap it down after he came back and picks up the pieces.

• Like 1

Yes, when you slow it down and watch hard. You see that it is a dark red pickup being transported backwards. If not properly secured they will get air under them, even when properly secured they can be damaged transporting in this manner. In 40 years, I have had a couple of bed liners come out and a tonnueau cover come off. The bed liners were cheap plastic, today most are sprayed in. But, you still have to watch for the rubber mats that are sometimes on the floor of the bed. Truck Owners often use them to keep things from sliding around as easily. Even Heavy Ones can get air and come out.

Something else if you have to tow a tonueau cover from the rear check that it is secure any play put a strap over it. If you checked and you are confident it is secure, check again before you leave. The only tonneau cover I damaged was seure until an officer openned and close it before I left. I even saw him do it, looked at the latch which was in the down position. He did not actually latch one of both sides. It did not blow off, but did blow over the cab causing damage to the cab roof. School of Hard Knocks, why should others continue to make these same mistakes.