Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Spinners?

Unknown member Created this topic on Tow411 in June 2008:

061408A.jpg.33032707d2db07b7b2664b12824839b0.jpg

Got a call for this Triumph TR6 that had a rear flat. I had to straighten the wheels & the fancy spokes caught my eye.

061408B.jpg.4299e4ef60eb64c1270a8e75f32f28c6.jpg

When the lug nuts were not visible, I knew I was in for dollies. Had to short shoe the wheel lift and the dollies. Don't see too many spinners around anymore. The shop was mighty impressed that I put it on dollies...LOL

061408C.jpg.bfd9b854194887de6aca1a8bda8e600b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

P.S. PGhrist, I got a little more of my truck in the second pic.

Southerstar1 said:

Wire wheels with knock off spinners like that are still out there but widely used on lowriders. Alot of lowriders such as Impalas use 13 and 14 inch wire wheels. The biggest thing to remember when towing them, is not to tow them backwards cause they will come loose.

SouthernStar1sig.jpg.1d5a74d6d578033fb9b47f8dea4a513a.jpg

wreckerman05 said:

you did it proper--good looking hook-up--- now its been awhile but do those type wheels loosen up when towed backwards ???will the newer type we see now do the same ???? anybody have 1st hand info on this subject ??? i always have been able to use a rollback but i would like to know ???

Southerstar1 said:

I know the newer ones like what is used on most lowriders now can and will come loose. I have seen it several times when we used to do hydraulic work on lowriders, other companies would tow them to us backwards and they would have no idea why the front wheels were falling off. The spinner is a self tightening type of set up, you tighten them by hand, then use a soft lead hammer to tighten more and as they go down the road, they tighten more.

SouthernStar1sig.jpg.1d5a74d6d578033fb9b47f8dea4a513a.jpg

PGhrist said:

Very nice job... I see cordless towlights too!!! You guys get to play with all the toys!!!

PGhristsig.jpg.8b8828693986470bce3aa2e11c382e0f.jpg

unknown member said:

Good to see that reminder about them coming loose if towed backwards

and something i might add is those winged center locks ( spinners) will come off first and take off at high speed flying 30 feet in the air and pass you if you are lucky enough not to get hit by one of them, they weigh enough to kill someone so always be very carefull with these types of wheels

and we might also want to check that they were mounted on the correct side, they usually say "right side" " left side" on the spinner.....i have seen them on the wrong side before , and that was the time i saw them take off in frightening flight

Rod Midkiff said:

funny you would talk about right side/left side was called to tow a car that had just installed them and one just fell off in the middle of the road....

Yeap you guessed it... it was installed on the wrong side...

the one on the other side was finger lose.. other axle was installed correctly.

I also heard about someone doing a burn out in reverse.. and both wheels slipping off.. opps....

stay safe
Rod

Part Timer said:

Thanks for the info about reverse towing with spinners, but this car was dollied so would this not eliminate the possibility of the spinners coming off ?

Thanks for any info, I have not had to deal with them before......
Rob

Have not seen Knock Off's in years. Need add this to our next safety meeting. Never know when they will show up as we have been getting cars out of storage where they have been for years. Seems the kids often do not want an old vehicle their parent keep around till they passed. I'd like to get there before they listed it on sale, then again folks buying them seem to often be paying too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Makes me wonder if I should carry my lead filled hammer. 

I better go look at the grey hairs now as I feel old just thinking that i actually own a lead filled hammer. Old Vette guy here. It has been some time since I hammered on a wheel. 

• Haha 1