Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 02.27.12 (VA)

Tow411

Tower Down: Cash's Garage Owner killed in Amherst County (VA)

Madison Heights family mourns tow truck driver killed in unusual accident Dennis Cash was on the job Monday when witnesses say another person's negligence caused a tragic accident

NEWS LINK INACTIVE

MADISON HEIGHTS, Va.—
It's a somber day at Cash's Garage in Madison Heights; a family owned business that's now mourning the loss of its owner.  Dennis Cash died on the job Monday.

"He loved his family, he loved his business, and he loved his community," said Cash's son Jonathan, holding back tears as he recalled memories of his father Tuesday.

Cash was trying to tow away a truck that crashed on Route 130 Monday morning.  Witnesses say another vehicle plowed through the accident scene and pinned Cash against his tow truck.  Jonathan and his brother, Matthew, watched in horror as their father's body was dragged across the length of his vehicle.

"I would have never guessed that something like this would have happened where it happened at, and how it happened," Jonathan said.

Cash's death is a wake up call for other tow truck drivers.
"When you're working a wreck, that's when you're most liable to be hurt by somebody else," said George Stanley, owner of Smiley's Towing in Amherst County.

Stanley says accident scenes are a great danger for workers like himself.

"When drivers pass by, sometimes they'll take their eye off the road for a split second to see what's going on, and things happen," Stanley said, adding that he works to stay alert when working at crash sites.

"You have to look things over, because it don't take but one mistake and something really bad can happen," Stanley said.

Witnesses say Cash was doing everything right.  He was known for being safety conscious, and even won a statewide award for saving a life at an accident scene years ago.

"My Dad tried his best to help people," said Matthew Cash, adding that he'll remember his father's dedication as he and his brother work to keep the family business going.

"Most father and sons go fishing and hunting, but we did wreckers and we enjoyed it together," Matthew said.  "We've got a missing piece right now."

The driver who hit Cash is from Georgia.  He's not charged with anything right now, but the Amherst County Commonwealth's Attorney is investigating to see whether a criminal case needs to be opened.

February 27, 2012

Virginia State Police are releasing more details about a fatal crash that happened in Amherst County Monday.

Officers say late Monday morning, they were called to clear a tractor-trailer crash on Route 130 in the Snowden area. The big rig had overturned, so workers from "Cash's Garage" in Madison Heights were called in to help with the clean up effort.

State Police say just after 12:00pm, 64-year-old Claude Cash was standing near his wrecker when another tractor trailer traveling by the crash site crashed into him. Cash died at the scene.

Online records show Cash is the owner of "Cash's Garage."

VSP say charges are pending against the driver of the tractor trailer that hit Cash.

-------------------------------------------------

A person is dead after two separate crashes in the same area in Amherst County on Monday.

Route 130 in the Snowden part of Amherst County had been closed Monday morning because of a tractor-trailer accident.

Just as that accident cleared, state police say, there was a second crash.

A person was killed in the second crash.

Check back later for more updates.

Here is the news release from Virginia State Police:

Virginia State Police are investigating a fatal crash that occurred Monday afternoon in Amherst County. At 12:10 p.m., state police were called to the scene on Route 130 in the Snowden community. This fatal crash occurred in the wake of an earlier crash at the same site involving a tractor-trailer…that crash had just cleared when this second - and fatal - crash happened. There is one confirmed fatality

On this section of road, tractor trailers over 60 feet long are not allowed because of the tight curvy road, but many use this shortcut between a paper mill and I-81. Its sad that a life was taken because others drive past really big signs that state no trucks beyond this point.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the folks at Cash's Garage.

Mama Null said:

Prayers to the Cash family.

jcash said:

This was unnecessary death caused by negligant  truck driver.  I know because I was there and watched a jb hunt truck kill my father.  The best piece of advice that I can give anybody from this is to alway tell your love ones that you love them because they can be gone in a second.

TowZone said:

Our sincere condolences on the tragic loss of your father. Even one of our brothers taken is too many and we have seen these tragic losses of life increase over the years. Our thoughts and prayers be with you and your family in this time of sadness.

SnH Recovery said:

Thoughts and prayers to Mr Cash and family

Towing U said:

Thoughts and Prayers to Mr Cash's Family and friends

HYATT TOWING said:

Thoughts and Prayers go out to The Cash family .

ILTowman said:

thoughts and prayer for family, co workers and friends. sorry to hear about your lost.

Joessig.thumb.jpg.0014a6e431db9e46382b3be73435a3a1.jpg

In Memory of Don44Tows who said:

thoughts and prayers for the family & friends

Towman92266 said:

My condolences to the Cash family and friends. You are in my thoughts.

srvmgrnow said:

My sincerest condolences, and thoughts and prayers to you and your family jcash.

maresco motors said:

Our thoughts and prayers to the Cash family...

miracle1 said:

Our sincerest condolences to the cash family for your loss.We will keep you and yours in our prayers.....kenny Miracle

timstruckservice said:

Our Thoughts go out to you and Your Family !! Very Tragic to hear.

timstruckservicesig.jpg.779628e78aed104fd4785a1f8483ba0b.jpg

Flamintow said:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the cash family.

DW Carter said:

Jonathan, our thoughts and prayers are with ya'll.

aztecatowingllc said:

Thoughts and prayers to JCash, family and team members. 

Larry Searles said:

sorry for your loss! Hard to find words at a time like ths!

Gullyman said:

Sorry for your loss. I hate reading these. I feel like I have read too many every time I read one.

Gullysig.jpg.d8b1f3fbc41c4b18353f07cf247adf3d.jpg

aanomettow said:

Thoughts and prayers to Mr Cash and family. to bad another tower dies because of the carlessness of others               

mooresbp said:

Our most sincere thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this sad time.

teams251 said:

Very Sad! Our condolences to the Cash family,you will be in our thoughts.

Bucs said:

My prayers go out to the Cash family. Sorry for your loss.

ctowman333 said:

This hits too close to home. Thoughts and prayers from the crew at Total Truck Svc.

Leroy Hedrick said:

my thoughts and prayers go out to the cash family in this tragic time.

Heavytowman12 said:

As much as I like this site I hate to open it up in fear of this type post Seems like more post on this type thing happening then ever before Is it me or are these type post more frequent then all other post It sure seems like it All at Ted's Towing in Baltimore feel your pain and are sorry for your loss.

ASSOCIATEDTOWING said:

Thoughts and Prayers to Mr Cash's Family and friends

crbrown said:

Our thoughts and prayers for our fellow Virginia towing family. Johnny, very sorry for your loss.
Charlie Brown - Brown & Son - Salem, Va. 

phillyrepoman said:

rest in peace brother

Tows531 said:

My Thoughts go out to the Family.

rantif3 said:

You, Your family, freinds, and co-workers are in our thoughts and prayers from everyone here @ Wrecker 1!!!! It's hard to lose a loved one in any circumstance. It's very tragic that your dad's death was caused by obvious neglect on the drivers part, while you guys were just trying to perform your duties. It must be devestating for you to have been there to witness this, and I ( along with many others I'm sure ) will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers in hopes that you can somehow get through this extremely difficult time!!!

WestLakeTowing said:

Jonathan you and your family are in our prayers.
Allen Cook - Woods Towing and Recovery - Vinton, Virginia

Heffy004 said:

Our sincere condolences & prayers go out to the Cash family. Maay he rest in eternal peace.
HEFFY

Brinkleys said:

Very tragic news. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Jonathan. Another one of the family lost to soon.

OConnellBodayandTowing said:

Very sad and disturbing to have happen, and for his sons to see this too. What a shame.

Schmitty30 said:

Thoughts and prayers to the family and employes at cashs garage.

Brian Crane said:

I stopped by Cash's a year ago or so on a Sunday afternoon, one of my guys and myself were transporting some equipment south, we had some tire trouble on one of our trailers, Dennis was there and showed us around while is guys changed the tire. Dennis went out of his way to help us, he showed us his trucks and we chatted for a while, very nice guy! Great Service

I wish his family well, I offer my condolences and my he rest in eternal peace !
Brian Crane
WM971216

dbtow said:

Sorry to here a fellow Virginia Brother has fallen.. This really saddens and ANGERS me.  JCASH, from all of us here at DB Towing, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.  If you need anything, please call.

Forgivenone said:

Thoughts and prayers for Mr. Cash's family and friends.

There were twice as many replies this is just all we could add here.