Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Hello from western ny

Andy P

Hi my name is Andy and I am looking to get into the towing business. I am currently a mechanic but getting to old to be climbing all over equipment all day and just plain tired of turning wrenches. So it's time for something new! I've been reading and learning a lot from here, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions down the road. Have a good day! Andy

Hi Andy from Andy. I am also a technician shop owner turned light duty wrecker tow truck operator. Many here  suggested I should get some training. I can tell you i learned so much in the 8 day wreckmaster class and it was worth every cent I paid and or didn’t make wile I was gone. My confidence level on complex jobs is high and i find the things I learned paying off daily.

Ive been towing cars for almost seven years but only when the work load of the shops would allow it. I seem to really like the towing business its challenging interesting sometimes easy I get tips I never get tips from car work and its funny to have customers so happy to see me never the case at the shop. Reality is I make more money physically working on cars but I can take a job or not now I work my own hours. Well ok i work a lot of hours but someday I will not take as many of the jobs as I do now. I find that even after a few long weeks towing or recovery work that I am not mentally frazzled like I am when I work a full week in the shop. Not all the same mental stress. 

Good luck be safe

See you in the ditch 

Thanks Andy. Yeah I'm just getting tired of the same old song and dance working in a shop. I work on construction equipment, big heavy and always dirty. If it was just a money decision it's a no brainer but it's not a good feeling when you dread going to work. It's funny though when you tell a customer something needs fixed they ignore you and 3 weeks later they are back and the bill is now triple what it would have cost them to fix in the first place.                             Anyhow I am looking into taking a a wreckmaster online course to get some basics. I just received Principles of Light Duty Towing & Recovery from TRAA and am currently studying that. Which course from wreckmaster I'm not quite sure? Level 1 Essentials or 2/3 Fundamentals? Guess I have a week or 2 to decide.  Have a good day! Andy