Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

TowTimes.com - What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

TowTimes

From the Blog of Geri Roskopf,

When you were a kid, I’m sure you were asked:

What-Do-You-Want-to-Be-When-You-Grow-Up_.jpg

Kids today will tell you they want to be someone such as a firefighter, ballerina, professional athlete or even a gamer. I don’t think many – unless they have grown up in the towing business – would say they want to be a professional tow operator.

Recruiting employees in any profession – let alone the towing and recovery industry – has proven to be a challenge. I think today’s kids are discovering that going to a four-year college is not for everyone. Thinking about what your talents and interests are can help when searching for what you would like as a career path that is necessary for both income and job satisfaction. Job shadowing, volunteering and doing internships can help with knowing what type of education or training you need, and if that job would be right for you.

Do you know of someone who is good with people and a great communicator? That person could be a dispatcher. Do you know of someone who is good with numbers? That person could work in your accounting office. Do you know of someone who likes to fix things? That person could help out in the shop.

Think about what you look for when hiring someone to be a tow operator. What makes them stand out? What can you tell them about the profession that makes them say: “I didn’t know that.”

At age 18, I wanted to move out of the house, and because I had taken typing and accounting classes in high school, I thought I would get a clerical job, get married and have kids. Never did I dream that one day I would be managing a towing business.

When we define ourselves by our job, our worth depends on what we achieve. Interests and priorities shift over time and we are all professional works in progress. Instead of asking what do you want to be, let’s ask, what do you want to do?

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com