Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

U-Haul backed up too far

Not sure if it's every area but in ours, UHaul has made a decision to cover all winch out services whether it has rode side assist or not. Then I guess they will back charge the customer where needed. We used to have issues with customer's not wanting to pay or pay appropriate rates for a 26'er. But they will destroy the truck, transmission or tires trying to get it out. So I guess they figure it's better for them to just cover it.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 12:51 PM, EdsTowing said:

Not sure if it's every area but in ours, UHaul has made a decision to cover all winch out services whether it has rode side assist or not. Then I guess they will back charge the customer where needed. We used to have issues with customer's not wanting to pay or pay appropriate rates for a 26'er. But they will destroy the truck, transmission or tires trying to get it out. So I guess they figure it's better for them to just cover it.

They've been doing it down here too and I love that decision. They genuinely don't care what it costs to get it out, they just want the equipment out without the damage that usually follows when a renter tries to get it out as cheap as possible. We did one Christmas day in the rain, a 26'er that was over 200' off the driveway. In the past they would've called for a quote, told the renter and they probably would've just spun and spun and spun until they broke something and needed me to tow it. This time u haul just covered it and even though they said they didn't care what my bill was, it still saved them from having me tow it 30 miles to their service center and finding another truck for their renter on Christmas.

I too have noticed that Uhaul is now paying for winch outs and agree it was a good move on their part. Too many times when a customer would call for a recovery/winch out, they wouldn't want to pay so they would "call a buddy" with a pickup and a chain. We all know how tragic that can end at times. 

Had one a couple years ago where they yanked and ripped on it with a pickup and tow rope till it broke loose only to lose it down the muddy hill, through the trees and on its side. The pickup ended up off the other edge, into the side of the house that they were just moving into. All because they didnt want to pay me for the original winch out. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

23 hours ago, EdsTowing said:

Had a TT yesterday that got stuck and they bored until the blew out both drive tires. We went out and pulled it out of the driveway so a tire service could replace the tires. Some folks are just ignorant...

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Let her eat"...

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 2 weeks later...

20220218_202746.thumb.jpg.8f0a8c733c269fd077f43b73bd32578c.jpg

So I had a 26 footer stuck last night and I was taking to the dispatcher about the new policy of paying for winch outs. I've been to this house before for a winch out and both times it was a hundred plus foot pull. According to the dispatcher, U haul pays us up front and charges the customer for my costs once they get the bill. That makes sense since the last time I was here, on Christmas night in the pouring rain, the dispatcher told me they didn't care what the cost was to get it out. 

• Like 5