Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 01.17.22 (Canada)

TowNews

Tow truck driver struck and killed by snow plow in Arnprior

Police have identified a tow truck driver who was struck and killed by a snow plow on Monday in Arnprior as a 33-year-old man from Ottawa.

The man was struck on the westbound Highway 417 under the White Lake Road overpass around 12:25 p.m.

Police say a westbound snow plow struck the tow truck operator while he was helping another driver. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

On Tuesday, OPP identified him as Phillip Smith of Ottawa. A statement from Fraser’s Towing and Recovery in Arnprior said he was a father of two.

“He was a loving father of two young children and will be missed deeply by his family,” the statement said.

The statement also implored people to slow down and move over when they see emergency lights on the road.

“It’s extremely important that people slow down and move over when they see any emergency lights,” the statement said.

“We are all out there just trying to help everyone as safely as we can but everyone needs to help out when it comes to seeing emergency lights.

“Unfortunately this gets ignored on a daily basis.”

The highway was closed for several hours for the police investigation. The Ministry of Labour is also investigating the crash.

Monday’s blizzard saw a record 48 centimetres of snow dumped on Ottawa, with similar snowfall levels across the region.

Resource Link

Note: The images originally posted was of Phillip Smiths Brother and Mother. Not of him and his wife Tryna Smith. Our apologizes as we attempt to bring this Tower Down Topics to the Real World. When an image of Phillip Smith can be provided we will update this topic.

• Platinum Sponsor

This is so sad to hear

He was helping someone and the snow blow guy doesn't see this. OMG😔 sending prayers for his family and friends and co-workers. 

Contact: Doreen Aragona - Integrated Leasing - Office: 800-551-4854 Ext 20

Email: Doreen@integratedleasing.com  Cell 516-852-5740

integrated18.jpg

www.INTEGRATEDLEASING.COM

Always seeing this type of news bring tears to my eyes. My heart is truly hurting for this man's loved one's. My GOD! He was only 33 years old! Any person operating a motor vehicle, whether it be a car, truck, van, plow, tractor trailer, motorcycle, you get the point, on any roadway is in full control of their vehicle unless the vehicle has defects that causes the driver to lose that control or the driver is impaired or on their cell phone.  I would really like to know what this plow truck driver has to say about the incident that caused the death of this young man. Granted, conditions did not sound like they were good, but if there were emergency lights on how did he not notice them? I have seen emergency lights through snow squalls. And I am nearsighted which means my far vision is impaired. 

Denise E. Witman

Owner operator here in winnipeg manitoba. It breaks my heart to hear about more tow operators getting stuck and killed 😭. When are we as operators there to help those on the side of the road, when are we gonna get the same level of respect as police, fire or ambulance. We need more communication and commercials about the slow down and move over law or we need to be allowed to have red beacons, something has to change ! My prayers go out to his family 🙏