Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Rear View Video Cameras

TowZone

Tommy Bradshaw Asked in January 2009:

Need some information on rear view back up camera, planning on buying one soon . What brand ? Color or Black & White ? Where to buy ? and any pros and cons one model vs others.. Thanks for the input!!!!
Tommy Bradshaw/BATR

Kevin aka Polock said:

Tommy get one with color and sound ......
I have one from Vision, it been on the truck now for about 3 years and it finally went south. I'm looking for something new.
If you look around RV dealers and inter-net has a number of brands for sell.
A large screen is also a nice option.
I would like to go wireless next go around.
Keep us posted about what you buy.

HarpersWreckerSer said:

OBSERVIEW is the one I have and have been using for years. 7in screen(color) lcd and night vision, it has lots of options... and the main option I look for is mirror image which means you can swap the screen ...

Dew Crew Asked in Jan 2011:

I know that i have seen other towers put after market touch  radios in their units, but i was wondering if any one has added a back up camera to go along with it? i have seen a couple on ebay that are "night vision" but they are from Hong Kong (a little iffy) The radio that i have used a/v cables for the camera. Any suggestions?

LEDandSafety said:

I've been using the imported keyhole cameras for years, they work great. People look at the back of my truck and the still don't see the camera. The newest one I have just requires a hole 1" in diameter for mounting. It's been on my truck 3 years and was $50.

The Camera:
IMG00393.jpg

The monitor (view from top camera though):
092708001.jpg

mooresbp asked:
Does any one have any ideas to add a recorder to this for liability reasons?

LEDandSafety said:
No problem to add a DVR to the camera if desired.

Morrisandsons Asked in February 2012:

Interested in putting a video/dvr camera on the back of some of our fleet (self loaders). Can anyone recommend and/or give me some info on the good/bad and where to purchase, etc..?
Thanks, Art

ADPtow said:

I have purchased a few from a guy on eBay. Backup-cameras is his user name. One of his current item numbers is 280824043946 to look him up. He can build a package to fit your needs. He is the cheapest I have found with quality color/daytime and IR/night cameras and color flat screen monitors. You can also hook up multiple cameras or a DVD player.

gtowman said:

It said 1 was available at this price, I purchased 2 of them one for the self loader and one for the heavy, I have the same units on my Medium and flat beds, this unit is a great product, it really helps having them, it makes life just a bit...mor easier..I like the price on amazon, I had paid 350 a pop from the ebay guy, plus shipping, so 219.00 is a good price. Art, I have my guys take pics and just email them to me, then I save them to my photobucket account in my PPI album, I then tag them and place my my invoice number on them, I print two copies, one for the customer and one for my files. That DVR thing might be a bit to complicated.
BANNER.jpg

someotherplace said:
Different people may have other ideas about how to use them but I have never considered the camera/DVR combo as something you would use for evidence in a PPI tow. You want to continue using a still camera for that so you know exactly what photos you got and they're readily available as separate images. The camera/DVR setup is in case of trouble - any he said/she said while your driver was on property, hooking up a car, etc. damage claims, "they moved my car to make it be in violation", things of that nature.
Richard

morrisandsons said:
Thanks, We always take digital photos and print them out for the customer, but I just wanted to put this on the truck mainly for damage claims, and last week we had a guy jump on the roof of his car while in tow just off the property. Nothing came of it (cops came and told him to get off the roof) but I couldn't help but wonder if he had tried to claim that we hit him or something? That's why I think the video camera would be a good idea. I want 1 on the pylon by the lightbar, 1 on the rear, and 1 on the dash facing forward..
Art

Wstend said:
I thought about it when we had a large ppi account and were doin quit a few everyday , you can check on gov.deals sometimes they sell them that we're removed out of police cruisers , which stores times and dates automatically on the Video

Protower asked in 2016:
I am considering purchase for my small fleet of trucks to make things a little easier on the drivers. Please tell me what you all have and what you think about them.Thanks,
PT

dperone said:
http://thecabcam.com/cc7m1c.html

This is the one I have in both of my self loaders. The oldest one is coming up on 10 years old and it still works like the day I installed it.

InstaSize_zps0f683463.jpg

Wreckergirl said:
i got one last night. i really did not want a big screen on my dash I'm really short and hate stuff on my dash. and my trucks dash it too small to install a 2 din touch screen radio so i ended up installing a single din radio with a motorized touch screen. i don't like that it sticks out of my dash about a inch of where its supposed to be but its the only option i had with out putting a big screen on my dash.
ALLSTAR TOWING & RECOVERY
24hr towing & roadside Assistance.

The picture is pretty good, especially at night, it's bright enough to not need work lights to back under something.

Superior35 asked in January 2018:

We are looking for recommendations on multi camera truck mounted systems. Would like 3 to 4 cameras per truck. Besides collision playback, we could monitor operator work habits, safety, vehicle loading and equipment usage. As this is a major investment we want to avoid unreliable vendors. Any help is appreciated. 

Towme2 said:

Do not use provision. Horrible company horrible product. Heading to court with them now.

Lee Gardner,Owner
Lee's 24 Hour Towing
4430 Hillsborough Rd
Durham NC 27705

Archived