Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Who cleans your restrooms?

Tow411

This topic was first created on Tow411 in November of 2006:

I am tired of everyone here whining about cleaning the bathrooms in this office! what do you guys do? how many pay for an outside cleaner to clean your bathrooms, or who does it in your office?Raymond Ray

Tow Zone Inc
"I'm the guy the parking signs warned you about..."
Placentia, CA

KingDragonwagon said:

My office staff does all the cleaning , and if it does not sparkle
when I go squirt some one is going to get it right.

jimmjem said:

You have to clean them?

moranmg said:

I use a cleaning company every week to clean the office and bathrooms.

unknown member said:

Don't have a bathroom in garage-rent port a pot--they dump and clean twice a week

Don29yrs aka THTDON said:

NO ONE!!!
Actually I do, most of the time. I have a kid that comes in from time to time, and I get him to do it. Sometimes it is worse that before he started. I have those bowl washers with the disposable pad on the end. It only takes a couple of minutes to do it. No big deal. I need a maid! No one cleans up after themselves. I keep dumping half-cups of coffee and soda down the drain.

TOwBoY88 said:

Oh...I'm not the only one with that problem...?

ASAPAutomotive said:

If you can use...you can clean it. Should apply to all in the company...except the customer I guess.

Unknown Member said:

No one...unless I scream! I actually...silly me...made a list assigning everyone a week, for an entire year, to clean the bathroom...it stayed on the wall approximately a month before someone took it down. Now, we just use the screaming approach, works pretty well!

Freds Towing said:

Our office staff (me) usually cleans the bathroom. I've tried to have others do it, but it gets to a point where I can't stand it anymore...and I just have to clean it. Our drivers can skillfully pick up cars and drop off cars into the tightest spots, you would think they would have better aim!  We do have someone that comes in once a month to do a full cleaning of the office area and bathroom.

Kelly 
Fred's Towing
Stevens Point, WI
715-341-7576

TNTOW said:

When I had several employees, it fell to the Wednesday night man to clean and vacuum the office and bathroom. It really didn't take more than about twenty minutes to do both even if you took your time. Everybody was responsible for cleaning up after themselves and taking the trash out each day. The Sunday driver was responsible for greasing the trucks. We rotated days so you didn't have to do it each week.

midriverstowing said:

Thankfully not me 

Doug, mid-rivers towing

Oklatom said:

The same person that puts new rolls of toilet paper on the roll, and new rolls of paper towels up, and keeps it in soap.

ME.

In Memory of Dispatcher35 who said:

We have a woman (sister of one of our detailers) that comes in 5 nights a week and cleans the whole office area up. One of the detail people hauls the trash and sweeps the shops up at night.

Mike

Katkiller said:

And if it smells all the time one of those aerosol dispensers may be what you need. I've been telling them that at work for years now that's what they need. They wonder why it smells in there all the time......  of course that restroom gets about 50 people a day more or less..--

North County Tow Said:

I clean the bathrooms and the kitchen and the floors.......

I always thought it was the "pride of ownership"? Karen from Cali.

Graciesdad said:

I bought a shop with 2 of them, one is mine, the other is theirs. I dont give a rats you know what if they clean it, Im not sitting on the throne. All kidding aside they keep it up pretty well, and they can use the boss's throne when needed.......and yes, I clean it. And yes, I miss........Jay

Indiana

James Odem:

Simple soulition to the problem put a lock on the door and charge them a fee to use it.

Kyresqtow said:

Who ever ticks me off cleans it

schu said:

ours stays pretty decent ..... usually its whoever is on the night shift is supposed to keep it up as well as the office area but we all kinda clean up after our selves

PJGhrist said:

I usually take out trash most nights... we usually take turns cleaning the shop bathroom, the girls in the office keep there bathroom clean! The late night drivers usually vac n mop office and bathrooms when told to! And trying to get people to switch the TP rolls... I'll never see that done! lol

http://jeswald.com/

letsplay2 said:

If your employee's don't want to clean the restroom then rent a port a potty and let all the people who refuse to clean the restroom use the port a potty and all the employee's that want to clean the restroom use the restroom... Watch how fast they come over to the other side and actually volunteer to clean the restroom..

Devin

Bachtowing said:

We have a guy that only does restroom cleaning.. he spends about 1/2 hr and it really sparkles for only $15 every other week. He scrubs the sink, toilet, floor and mirror

Not a bad deal for him either.. at least it gets done!

Preferred said:

Im lucky enough to have my own bathroom, so I clean my own. The drivers clean the other bathroom. Since they are the ones using it, they clean it...

http://preferredtow.com/

Tow_Zone said:

Professionally: have an individual or service come in once a week and clean everything as such. Then the employees must keep it clean in between and pick up after themselves or go home. Owners it may be your place, but unless you take joy in doing such tasks your focus is in the wrong direction. Drivers should never be placed on duties such as cutting grass, picking up the lot or cleaning restrooms and service areas. They are paid to be drivers, in between runs they straighten the lot, clean on the trucks and other tasks related to their job specific duties. If they have time to do that other stuff, then you have to many drivers. I have known several owners that had their drivers doing things totally unrelated to towing or there specific job. Those were the least productive employees and the first to cause damages. I don't clean restrooms, I don't do windows and I don't sweep the shop floor unless I want too. I'm not a good employee, I am an skilled productive team member. OK, so I'll cut some of the owners in rural areas a break as the volume may be lower as well as the pool of drivers.

When I have managed other businesses I would hire a retired individual to clean up. The cost was very reasonable I found them rather dependable and looking for something to occupy their time and get a little cash as well. Oh, they generally want more money in time. When it gets close to the cost of a service it's time to find another.

jared allpoints said

my dad does it somtimes, other times my one part timmer comes in and just does it. i never have to ask let alone tell anyone to do it, they just do.

Edit: Seems I forgot it's Friday. I'm off on Friday So I generally have the Kitchen and Bathroom Cleaned up early. Well, I;m but that's not why I came back to this topic. It's that I will clean my own bathroom, I'll even clean pupil restrooms if that is my job description, as a driver that should not be in my job description when hired.

Unknown Member said:

Try this, If they don't clean up after themselves, unplug and remove key appliances. Kill light to bathroom and see how they like going with the varmints they attract.

Unknown Member said:

unfortunately im the one who cleans up the place, nobody else seems to feel the need and i believe in choosing your battles, hosing out the bathroom isnt the one to fight in my opinion.

Unknown Member said:

We have a man who does the bathrooms once a week, the rest of it is done by the office staff. Our office is all women, all our drivers are men, and we have 1 common bathroom, so having it cleaned is a necessity, not a luxury, around here.
T.

Unknown Member said:

still trying to grasp the fact that this is a topic lmao

Unknown Member said:

That is a pet peeve, I can not stand a dirty bathroom or office for that matter. Not so much for me, but my customers. I have made it every-bodies responsibility to make sure they stay clean, and it works for the most part. I might have to tidy up once in awhile.

EastCoast Trailways said:

Hire a local kid if available. less money spent. money in their pocket.

iFLEET said:

My daytime office staff normally keeps the office and bathroom clean. Will soon be giving the responsibility to the overnight dispatcher since the day staff if way more busy dispatching.

Unknown Member said:

I have the joy of cleaning up...the guys aren't too messy in there, but definitely needs to be done weekly. I want to make sure it stays tidy for anyone that needs to use.

Redstow said:

I have a retired lady who cleans the office & bathroom once a week. The techs & drivers do the shop bathroom. The biggest problem we have is the mechanic who uses too much hand cleaner then slings it all over the walls! No one would admit to it, but we finally narrowed it down & busted him.

Certifiedautomall NJ said:

usually when my detailer is slow he does all the cleaning usually once a week sometimes when im bored ill go on a cleaning frenzy and scrub everything but with out fail within an hour someone misses o well if we were to ever build a nother shop im puttin one in for myself with a deadbolt lol my guys in the shop are not allowed to use the bath rooms in the showroom and they are not allowed to wash their hands anywhere but in the shop sink if they do then they will scrub everything on their own time with a tooth brush because they all throw stuff every where.

Unknown Member said:

Joy and myself. Things like that are beneath drivers and employees. Glen in Sunny Montana!

Silverhawk said:

We clean up after ourself. If left dirty, it is locked until cleaned When drivers have to go down the street to go, they generally rat on the person who got it dirty. He then is handed the key to clean up after himself.

LasVegasRotator said:

Every Department has 1 person to clean the floors and the bathrooms. Body Shop, Truck Shop, Big Rig Towing Dept, Light Towing Dept, Mechanic Shop, 5 on site workers just for cleanup. We also have 2 people come in once a week to clean off all the desk and vacuum the floors in the Truck Shop/ Big Rig Dept

Tracyd said:

Actually the office bathroom is for the office employees only, we have a Port a Potty outside by the garage where the guys can go. Myself or another gentleman in the office clean it, along with our office. Which I should go do..so thanks lol

TowTruckMike01 said:

Glen, beneath drivers? If the drivers can mess it up, they should definitely be able to clean up. I am surprised that A) this is a topic B) It has lasted this long and D, I mean C) Some of the answers given.

While yes, it is menial work to be cleaning a bathroom or sweeping, or cleaning windows, whatever the task may be, but they (myself included) are employees. If you pay your drivers strictly by commission, I can understand drivers/employees not cleaning,(honestly, how much is 35% of a bathroom cleaning?), but if your employee is paid salary or hourly, it should absolutely be in their job description, I would classify it as "general shop cleaning".
And like I said, I am an employee, not an owner, so it is usually me doing the cleaning.

"It's a s**tty job, but somebody's gotta do it!"

Mike Horton
"Support your local Hooker!"

RedWolfNc said:

easy fix, i clean the bathroom.... Then I stay pissed all day... LOL They have learn to clean up after themselves, and keep it clean

Unknown Member said:

Cleaned weekly by receptionist on day off for extra $$$. Techs and drivers use seperate bathroom.

Weekly rule:
"If You Sprinkle When You Tinkle, Be A Sweetie And Wipe The Seatie." So the sign says.

anaron said:

Ah the good ole days when we only had to clean the bathroom once or twice a year - dig a new hole, move the outhouse over and cover up the old hole!

annettemcd said:

Don't laugh, Ron. We have an outhouse at the house and at the office. We only got plumbing in the office in the last few years, so everyone, including employees and customers, used the outhouse. If the office is locked, there is still the outhouse which works even at 40 degrees below zero. (The seat is made of foam board.) There still isn't any plumbing in the shop, so if employees do not want to bother to unlock the office, they still use the outhouse. That outhouse has been moved to a new location when the old one filled up. (It's better than a honey bucket.) We have had plumbing in the house for almost twenty years, but we did get by without it for a few years before that.

Ron Pullen said:

That's why I hired SCOOBY Just ask him. LOL

In Memory of Scooby who said:

actually I prefer....chief custodial officer in charge of operations

I have herd rumors of some pics being posted??????

I figure it this way.... you know the guys. the ones that constantly give you their resume. all their awards, so called awards/services/certificates/accommodations/the first to fly...no command...the space shuttle.

heck, a few I'm thinking of can't finish a sentence without giving ya the resume. over and over and over again. LOL, I have it memorized...enough already.

If I tell ya I'm the janitor, then you can never be disappointed. And ones always impressed because they didn't expect much in the first place.

geartow said:

Its only fitting that Scooby cleans them he spends most of the day there anyway!

gmd1984 said:

i am the bath room, main office, my office, bays, trucks, parking lot. cleaner my help says the do it but it never looks like it to me i dont no wear they are cleaning but not hear. i come in in the AM and throw away 6 news papers 10 half coffes, 20 soda and cig packs, and some kinda slime on the counter, rags and napkis every wear,and half eten lunces so that takes up my frist 2 hr every day

SAL'S Servicenter LLC
24 hr Towing, Recovery and Road Service
880 RT 35 Cross River NY 10518
(914)-763-5151
(Mike)

We have a lady that comes in once a week to clean the offices, waiting room and 3 bathrooms. I constantly check things over & empty trash, fill the towel & paper dispensers and what not. It's important to me to keep our facility clean & bright. Not a week goes by that I don't get complimented on our offices & facility. That makes me happy...We spent over 150 grand re-doing the admin section of our building and it fulfilled an item on my "Bucket List"...

I wrote on this topic in Tow Industry Week in 2012; again covering the same topic. When employees aren't "user friendly", more than one company has leased outside toilet facilities to employees to use. Many companies don't allow drivers into the business office, so porta potty rentals is a feasible option. However, having to stand in a floor full of misguided piss isn't appeasing to me.     r.

Randall C. Resch