Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Ford F-550 Question

I'm fairly new to Med-Duty towing, and I was just wondering where most of you guys would pick on an F-550 4x4 from the front. Would you fork the axle, or do you usually break out the wheel grids, or is there a spot on the frame somewhere that's easy? I had a loaded F-550 dump truck the other day, and I just forked the axle, I later heard from somewhere that the axle tube could be bent on those, on certain occasions. Just wondering if that is legit or not. Thanks for your input!

I have a odd set of forks for them I've forked the front axel I've grabbed the rear frame it's just according to where and how they are sitting I always go for the easiest way. But I've don't think you have to worry about bending the axel tube!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some 450’s & 550’s have cooler lines on inside or frame, just open plastic retainers & re position lines to avoid forks.

We also remove the late model larger lower air dam to prevent any contact damage(simple removal, about 10 8mm screws)  & most importantly, be sure forks & crossbar are secured to prevent any rearward movement 45EFEFA9-FCE9-49CC-90A6-30860531ABC5.thumb.jpeg.4ee43ddae643339efabb09fc204ab68c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea I just used a regular set of miller frame forks on the axle, but none of the ones I had just fit real nice in there. It had a little bit of slop in there. Just Chuckud if you usally have to double pick it with those Super Duty forks? Thanks  for the comments guys!

• Like 1

Yea I probably would have got it from the rear, but he had the dump bed loaded to the max with concrete blocks, I believe he probably was overweight! So I had tow it a little distance, and I was a little worried about putting all that weight on the front axle.

3 hours ago, EdsTowing said:

Yea you have to watch these trucks...People will run them like a Single Axle dump and it's not. We have customers with service body trucks running 20 & 21,000 gross. That's more then a tandem axle road tractor.

Those service bodies get stupid heavy. We had a local company finally switch from 550's to 750's and I can't feel a difference in the 2 when towing them. We scaled one of the 550's before at 23k and they couldn't figure out why the rear studs kept breaking off

• Like 1

Ditto to Ed and Dperone's comments.. You made the right call not trying to pick it from the rear. I would be more concerned with what you would take off of your rigs nose than what would transfer to the front axle of the casualty truck. You got to be real careful with those types of rigs when they are loaded out. I cant recall ever towing a loaded 450-4500 / 550-5500 that wasn't way overweight. Usually they hang around 21-22,000 here. People who buy these class trucks don't really seem to look at the fact they are weighing in between 11 and 14,000 after up-fit being a dump body, service body or even tow unit... Doesn't really leave a whole lot of room when they are grossed at 19,500.

I would recommend that if your going to be dealing with these trucks pretty regularly, then purchasing a set of those specified Super duty forks. They will pay for themselves in the end.

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE