Quantcast
  • Come join the TowForce community.

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

RV tow, thoughts on hook up

I got a call yesterday to move a class B RV on a Mercedes chassis to an RV dealer.  When I got there the left rears duals had come off it.  When I used my tall forks on the frame rail I could not get the rear wheels high enough off the ground.  Adding a 4x4 on the fork I was able to wedge the 4x4 between the fork and the trailer hitch on the rear end.  I took a lasso strap and went around the frame and the 4x4 on the front side so it could not kick it out sideways.  I strapped the lasso to the bottom of the fork receiver hole which I figured created down pressure there and strapped the trailer hitch to the cross bar in the back.  Even after I got the back high enough, I had to leave it lower than I would have liked to so I didn't drag the bumper cover in the front  It felt secure to me so I went with it for about 70 miles with no issues.  I forgot to take pictures after I got it all strapped but you can see what I did from these pictures  I am fairly new to using forks and have not had to do this to get one high enough off the ground before so I though I would get some input here.

Thanks

Tracy

IMG_20211013_181250590_HDR.thumb.jpg.1ab309eeab28df9b30028da42a82dae8.jpg

IMG_20211013_155430803.thumb.jpg.3d32bc9cd971f905baa47772d214f30c.jpg

IMG_20211013_155408556_HDR.thumb.jpg.49f5a3b5b4197c85766eb2a4995fe0ff.jpg 

• Like 1

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

You can buy some extensions, but I have used boards and things to get the job done. You could have took the tires off so you had enough lift. Great job you made it work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WRECKER-ROTATOR-TOW-TRUCK-5-1-2-FORK-RISER-STAND-/203582815954?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• Thanks 1

• TowZone featured this topic

Ditto on Bushwacker's suggestions. The fork extensions would have done the trick for you But the Wood cribbing trick gets it done too. As a side note, I always prefer to buy Good quality pressure treated hard wood Materials to make up my cribbing assortment just for these sorts of occasions. Takes a real beating and holds up longer than regular run of the mill lumber. 

Even with the extensions or cribbing, I would have popped the other set of wheels off so it could ride as low as possible and not tear up the goofy dress-up lip on the front bumper.

You thought it through, used what you had and got it done safely. Not to mention you added another few bits to the "mental tool box". Good work. 

• Thanks 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

The Cougars come with tall stands, maybe someone grabbed them before you got it? They are probably pretty expensive though.

What you did seems to have worked fine. Sometimes you need to think outside the box. As long as it's secure, I would roll with it.

On a side note, I probably would have forked the class 3 hitch bar. It's easy and I have towed hundreds of trucks that way.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input guys.   

I never even thought of pulling the wheels, I was focused the hook up, that would have been the trick to keep the front bumper off the ground.  I think I still would have needed the cribbing. 

I had lifted it from the hitch once and the hitch seemed to move like it was not tight or could not handle the weight so I went back to the frame.

I did not get any of the forks when I bought this, I will look into getting a set of extensions.  Based on this, I think I will need them.  The few trucks I have towed from the rear I have used the boom.

thanks again

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

Yeah, even with pulling the wheels you would need the extra deep reach upwards or the extensions or cribbing to give you the "peace of mind" clearance on the wheel lift stick to the bottom of the bumper / hitch for vertical articulation. Ultimately, popping the wheels would allow you to carry it lower giving you better nose clearance. 

I too have grabbed class3 hitch crossbars But, I am super picky about which ones I will. The one stubborn posted here in the last photo is one I wouldnt because of how the crossbar extends out away from the end of the frame rail via the side plates. It is just one of those things that I never liked the look of. Not saying it is right or wrong in any way. Would it hold up just fine? Almost certainly. It is just one of my O.C.D. compulsions I guess.. LOL

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• TowZone unfeatured this topic