Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Steering locked up?

On 3/26/2018 at 2:06 PM, BlackAutoload said:

The tiny ujoints in the steering shaft do go bad in that body style chev... not saying its the case here but it does happen.

I've seen them get worn on really high mileage examples (and I mean more miles than any LE agency allows before they auction them off) but have never seen one lock up?

I will say though that GM/their supplier really dropped the ball on those steering shafts for the 99-06 trucks.  They're terrible at wearing at the slip joint and rattling.  Countless revisions later and I still don't think they have it completely fixed.  Just put a new intermediate shaft and lower column bearing (just a plastic collar essentially), both supposedly the current revision, in my 2006 personal truck, because the previous was rattling like crazy at 84K miles.  Some are reporting the new parts don't last very long either..

Richard

I have repaired many of these shafts with more robust ones from a 4x4 supply.In this case sheet metal replaced nobody touched steering and been back on road 3 weeks.I checked shaft again couple nights ago still tight.

My old chevy wheelift used to drive me crazy with rattleing shaft.

Kevin's American Towing Service
Ph: 631-654-8811

Archived