Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 08.20.21 (MO)

TowNews

I-70 eastbound near Grand reopens after closing for 3 hours due to crash

ST. LOUIS – All lanes of I-70 eastbound near Grand were shut down for three hours due to a rollover crash Friday morning.

The rollover crash happened at I-70 at Adelaide just before 8:20 a.m. Friday. I-70 was closed until about 11:30 a.m.

Police received an accident with injuries call involving a tow truck and a sedan with the sedan being the overturned vehicle.

EMS transported a person to the hospital.

FOX 2’s traffic reporter Molly Rose will continue to keep motorists up to date on this situation.

There were no further updates at this time.

RESOURCE LINK

UPDATED -8.21.21

Car drives onto flatbed, hits and kills tow truck driver on I-70

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – A tow truck driver was killed when a car hit him, drove up his truck's flatbed ramp and then vaulted off and flipped over on its roof on I-70 in North City Friday morning.

Police tell News 4 that 23-year-old Anthony McCoy was outside his tow truck, standing in the third lane of eastbound I-70 near Adelaide, trying to tow a car. The right side of an oncoming 2016 Honda Accord hit McCoy, went up the tow truck's flatbed ramp and vaulted off the top of the flatbed.  The Accord then landed, rolled onto its roof and slid 200 feet before it came to a rest. McCoy was taken to a hospital, where he later died. The driver of the Accord was not hurt.

The accident happened around 8:30 a.m. and closed a portion of eastbound I-70. The lanes reopened to traffic around 11:30 a.m. 

RESOURCE LINK

I have seen reports of a Tow Truck being struck by a vehicle that drove up the side of the bed then rolled over. None of these have given a location and a couple have stated the driver was also struck. I cannot confirm any of these and none of those who have posted have responded. Perhaps someone here is located in or around St. Louis and has more details.