Quantcast
  • Come join the TowForce community.

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Jerr Dan MPL40 10 Function Remote randomly not working

ThatOneWrecker

Hi all. My company has a 2015 Ford F550 with a Jerr Dan MPL40. We have the 10 Function wired remote controller. Recently it as been acting up. When you flip the (Control) Rocker switch this will engage the Clutch Pump PTO and The Red Led light on the 10 Function remote will light up.

The issue that is happening is you can flip the switch and hear the PTO pump come on with no problem, but sometimes the remote will not work(Red light off on remote) but the Hydralic levers on the back of the wrecker will work..(Tilt, boom up and down, ECT)

When the remote doesn't work, you can flip the Control switch to turn the PTO on and off rapidly and you and get the light on the remote to turn on a start working. I figured it was maybe the wiring but I traced the controller sub frame harness and unplugged every connector, shook the wire harness up and down...nothing is loose. I couldn't find the relay that goes from the Battery to the Clutch PTO Pump then goes to the harness but still since the PTO is working when the rocker switch is activated that will eliminate a replay problem.

So far the remote is working and the red light is on. I kept flipping the switch on and off. I'm thinking the next time the remote stops working and the red light is off. I'll unplug the remote controller harness that connect underneath the back seat and use a multimeter to see if the pin is getting 12V power. If it's still getting power and the remote is not working does, that mean the remote is faulty?

I was hoping I could borrow a known working 10 function remote to test for 1 week to see if it's the remote that is the problem. Because so far the wire harness and everything is fine.

It's like $800 for a new remote but I sure would like to know if it's the remote before buying a new one.

7295000131_01__18288.1590694838.png

• TowZone featured this topic

They are crazy expensive for what they are.  We have JerrDan wireless remotes in ours and they are super overpriced. (all of my newer trucks we now order with Lodar remotes)    That wired remote for in the cab has held up well for use with no issues.

Back of tshirt.JPG

9 hours ago, ESC said:

They are crazy expensive for what they are.  We have JerrDan wireless remotes in ours and they are super overpriced. (all of my newer trucks we now order with Lodar remotes)    That wired remote for in the cab has held up well for use with no issues.

We bought a new 2021 International Flatbed, it has the Lodar wireless winch, the damn thing wasn't hooked up fully. I figured the remote needed to by synced to the transmitter...the place we bought it from, never ran the power wires or hooked up the cylinder that moves the winch lever up or down when you press on the remote.

I hear ya ESC, the remotes are expensive. I just wish I could have found a loose connection but I'll have to wait for the controller to not work and bust out the multimeter to see if the remote is getting power when it's not working.

• TowZone unfeatured this topic