Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Rollover in the vineyard

Topic Originally Created by 1Caleb in September of 2006:

Drunk and high this guy drives off the highway and rolls into a local vineyard. With pleanty of room and no traffic to deal with Mike tried his single lane roll-over.

1C0906A.jpg.d58d2b78e60c38e516adecd25655dabb.jpg

1C0906B.jpg.0a68c4c2f3a75ec2d3d27c54a009bdde.jpg

1C0906C.jpg.1cb0e3291f012104fd0cfd76f8bb47d3.jpg

1C0906D.jpg.b11ca91f4fd9c42c7387fc3d89eb60d6.jpg

As you can see a catch line was added to the other side once the car was on its side. However, when the car was rolled onto its wheels it wanted to roll forward. It bumped into the back of the truck. Opps

1C0906E.jpg.851b719ca5a425eb34abb78cb4599d3d.jpg

1C0906F.jpg.351a7d3d0d72b6a26f28f5148cb2736a.jpg

1C0906G.jpg.eac97cd271bbbe10f3774061e4048ebc.jpg

Good job to Mike (pictured) on the recovery. If anybody has any thoughts as to why the car would roll forward please add. Parking brake was set. Forgot to add some lumber under the rear wheels. That I know would have stopped it. Anyone familiar with this techique....are our lines placed properly?

e6f84f6e0ced524f327011037262533b2f124ee0

srxrick said:

Blocks would of stopped it but the catch line moved forward would control the forward roll. Rick

bones5k said:

Just for the record the only reason I tried to do a controlled roll over is because the vineyard manager on scene explicitly request that no “fluids" leak from the car since this is “EPA monitored acreage.” Also, I had plenty of time and a safe location to practice something new, a controlled roll over with a dual line truck. Now looking back, yes blocks of wood should have been placed under the tires. After looking at the pictures I should have tied the control line to the front of the car. All in all it was successful roll over and only a couple small plastic bumper scrapes were added to the paint on the truck. I will be trying to buff those out later and most likely never hear the end of it. I will be practicing a controlled roll over on another vehicle at our yard until I get it right. On a side note, seeing the various techniques posted on 411.net, if nothing else, has given me new ideas and courage to try new methods and to become a better tow operator.

Westlake Towing said:

I think you answered one of your own questions, move the catch point farther foward(closer to the tow vehicle), and placement of cribbing or wheel chocks. You could also get the weight off of the catch line quicker. In the picture when the vehicle is rolled over, you can see that much off the weight is still on the catch line, the wheels on the left side of the vehicle appear to still be in the air, brakes no good on a wheel that is not making contact with the ground. The wire rope naturally wants to pivot directly under the end of the boom to its hanging position. Just a theory. Nothing wrong with practice thats the only way to get proficient.

Ed Barker said:

You took the perfect non pressured area and applied your technique,,,good job this time,,,maybe GREAT JOB next time,,,we all have to apply what we know from time to time to improve upon it,,,,quite admirable of your willingness to improve upon yourself and your ability,,,this is the steps to being a great operator and a great employee,,,

John Fenshaw said:

practice makes perfect there are alot of us that wish we would have done something diffrent i give you a lot of credit for trying to learn and for admitting that it diddnt go perfect so hands down to you and with you practicing and learning with a open mind will make you a awesome wrecker operator.