Quantcast
  • Come join the TowForce community.

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

HPL60 wheel lift cylinder rebuild

Stubborn66

I love running these old trucks but man, this one hurts!!  1996 International 4700 with a Jerr dan HPL60

My main cylinder on the wheel lift started puking oil.  No problem, get it rebuilt.........not so fast.  I think they built the truck around the front pin on that cylinder, I cannot get it to budge.  Ok, talk to my hydraulic guy and we can cheat and pull the cylinder apart from under the truck..............wait, not so fast.  To add insult to injury, they used a spiral ring as the retainer for the end cap, they could not use an easy screw off type.  Naturally, it is all corroded and I had to use the torches to cut it out.  Two days on it, off and on and I will have it out.

Would not want to do this every day!!!

Has anyone else run into this, is there a way to get that pin out that I missed?????

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

• TowZone featured this topic

been busy all week, which is a good thing, back to this today.

I hate to buy a $3000.00 cylinder when I can rebuild it for 3-4 hundred.  My next thought is to cut the mounting angle on either side of the cylinder, once it is out I can weld another piece of angle across the two remaining pieces, then weld the original back in place and reinstall the pin when the cylinder is done.

All they had to do is reverse the angle iron mount when building this and it would have been much easier to get at.

This post brings back some horrific nightmares... LOL

The first one I did I cut the pin like Ed had and the second one I did I cut the flanges out like you mentioned then rebuilt the mounts while the cylinder is out. If your welding, torch work and fab skills are up to snuff, that is the way to go on it in my opinion buddy.

Keep in mind, ANY way you do them is a real bitch. Prepare yourself for some cursing, cuts, bruises and a few slag burns...  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• TowZone unfeatured this topic

LOL,  I have not been able to get back under this monster.  Seem to be real busy in the mornings and it has been 90 degrees for the last week.........man I hate the heat!!   I found a small enough porta power cylinder to fit in there so I am gonna try one more time to push it through with heat before I cut the damn thing out of there.

In the mean time, I have done some tricks with the roll backs that I would not normally do and have not had a call that I couldn't cover yet, thankfully.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got back to this project this week, been busy which is good.  I ended up cutting this out mounts and all, will need to rebuild the mounts.  Damn thing is, when I took the cylinder in to get rebuilt the hydraulic guy told me he was going to cut the front pin section off and weld in a new one.  I ended up getting the ends of it with the torch.  Had I known that was an option, I would have cut it out differently and saved the mounts on the frame.  Oh well, live and learn I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY, I got this back together today, a month later.  I hope I never have to do another one of these.  If I do, I wont waste time trying to save the cylinder, I will bite the bullet and cut the cylinder and replace it.  I have $1500.00 into rebuilding this one, new shaft, new gland, new eye welded on the end, cut the old back mount and re-welded it to the new shaft.

• Like 1