Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 06.17.21 (OR) "UPDATED 12.05.22"

Hillsboro police: Tow truck driver shot, killed; 1 in custody

HILLSBORO, Ore. (KOIN) — A tow truck driver was shot and killed Thursday morning during a dispute in an apartment complex parking lot, Hillsboro police confirmed.

Authorities said tow trucks were removing vehicles from the parking lot of the apartment complex on Southeast 44th Avenue to be moved a short distance to the street as crews were preparing to do some maintenance to the parking lot when a disagreement ensued between a tenant and one of the tow truck drivers.

“There were disagreements with the tow truck, words were exchanged, there was arguing and yelling and then the shooter did shoot the tow truck driver,” Hillsboro Police Sgt. Clint Chrz said.

Investigators said the tow truck driver died at the scene.

The shooter is in police custody; however, the suspect’s name has not been released. The victim’s name has also not been released.

The investigation is ongoing.

Stay with us as this story develops.

https://www.koin.com/news/hillsboro-police-investigating-shooting/

Sorry to hear a Tow Truck Operator lost his life just moving vehicles to the street. What I never understand is why get into an argument in this situation. Call for a property manager who likely knows the individual or an officer to explain the situation. As the person moving the vehicle you're too close to the fire. In this case the fire of bullets...

Kenny Rogers the Gambler always comes to mind.

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done.

RIP DRIVER You've Done Your Time In HELL...

Sister: Tow truck driver towed killer’s car 3 years ago

Patrick Sanford was gunned down while moving vehicles at an apartment complex in Hillsboro

HILLSBORO, Ore. (KOIN) — A family is in mourning after a tow truck driver was shot and killed in the parking lot of an apartment complex where he was called to remove some vehicles.

Erin Fitzgerald was driving to work on Thursday morning when she received news that her brother, Patrick Sanford, had been shot. Hillsboro police said Sanford was one of two tow truck drivers tasked with moving vehicles parked at the apartment complex on SE 44th Avenue to the street a short distance away so that crews could restripe the parking lot.

But a tenant got into a disagreement with Sanford. It led to yelling, followed by gunfire.

Fitzgerald told KOIN 6 News her brother, who had owned his tow truck business for nearly 20 years, was just doing his job.

“He saw the man come out and get angry and bang on the tow truck,” she said. “And then the man went away and everybody thought he was leaving. And then he came back with the gun after Patrick got in his truck and walked up to the truck and shot him.”

Fitzgerald said her brother was shot three times in the chest.

Police arrested 42-year-old Matthew McAdoo the same day. He faces 2nd-degree murder charges.

“Apparently, this man knew my brother as a guy who towed his car away three years ago and he came out yelling at Patrick that he had damaged the alignment on his car three years ago. And that’s why he shot him,” Fitzgerald said. “I don’t know somebody like that. I sure hope they can find a way to find some kind of peace with themselves. You’ve gotta be such an incredibly angry person to do something like that.”

Fitzgerald said her brother’s longtime friend and employee, Shane, was there.

“Shane ran screaming over to the truck calling Patrick’s name but when he got to the truck, he said Patrick was already gone. He said ‘I don’t know if I’ll ever get that out of my head,'” she recalled.

Sanford leaves behind his new wife and his 15-year-old son.

McAdoo was booked into the Washington County Jail without bond. He is scheduled to appear in court on June 25.

RESOURCE LINK

• 5 weeks later...

Tow truck procession honors driver murdered on the job

Patrick Sanford was shot and killed one month ago while moving vehicles at a Hillsboro apartment complex; he left behind a wife and son.

HILLSBORO, Oregon — Dozens of tow truck drivers gathered in the parking lot of the Regal Evergreen Parkway cinemas in Hillsboro Saturday morning for the Enough is Enough tow truck procession.

Drivers were there to remember fallen tow truck driver Patrick Sanford. One month ago, the 51-year-old Sanford was shot and killed while on a towing job at the Park Creek Village Apartments in Hillsboro. 

“It was a senseless way to go. That gentleman was just doing his job. Just doing his job,” said Jean Underwood of Beaverton Towing.

Sanford was moving vehicles from the apartment complex parking lot for a maintenance project lot. He was confronted by a resident and shot and killed. 

42-year-old Mathew McAdoo has been charged with second degree murder.

“I think today is amazing. It’s a wonderful statement about Patrick and the horrible thing that happed to Patrick,” said Sanford’s sister Erin Fitzgerald as the procession started. 

Sanford leaves behind a wife and teenage son. Fitzgerald has started a GoFundMe page to help the family. 

The procession made its way from the Regal Cinema in Hillsboro to Highway 26. The trucks traveled to the Sylvan exit, then back to Hillsboro. Trucks had their flashing lights on the entire time.

Tow truck drivers are first responders, one driver told KGW. 

Their hope is that people they encounter on the job show more patience and kindness, even when the reason for the tow is disputed.

RESOURCE LINK

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am Patrick's older brother and his former sales manager.  I heard the horrible news from his ex wife Kathy and his surviving son Dugan.

I live in Cebu City, Philippines with my wife and son.

His murder has affected me in surprising ways.  I now find myself calling my own son 'Patrick' at odd times in conversations.

I can't bear to look at his photos, of which I have many dating back to the eighties.  

One thing I know for sure; Patrick would be deeply ashamed of the way our sister, Erin, has treated his ex wife Kathy and his son Dugan.

Erin is trying to steal his possessions and his estate.  Truly disgraceful.  

I hope the news media spends a few minutes investigating this truly sad and evil woman.

Sincerely

Barry Sanford

• 1 year later...

Murder trial set for 2021 slaying of tow truck driver

Matthew McAdoo is accused of killing Patrick Sanford

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Around 9 a.m. on June 17, 2021, two tow trucks were moving vehicles from a Hillsboro apartment complex parking lot to the street as road crews prepared to restripe and reseal the lot. An argument between one of the tow truck drivers and a tenant erupted, and the yelling turned to gunfire.

The tow truck driver, Patrick Sanford, died at the scene after being shot multiple times. He was 51. Officers arrested Matthew Alexander McAdoo that day and booked him on a 2nd-degree murder charge.

On Tuesday, McAdoo’s murder trial begins in Washington County with jury selection. It’s expected opening statements in the trial will begin November 1.

McAdoo, 44, is in the Washington County Jail awaiting trial.

The disagreement

The day after Sanford was shot to death, his sister, Erin Fitzgerald, told KOIN 6 News her brother owned his tow truck business for about 20 years.

“Apparently, this man knew my brother as a guy who towed his car away three years ago and he came out yelling at Patrick that he had damaged the alignment on his car three years ago. And that’s why he shot him,” Fitzgerald told KOIN 6 News in 2021. “I don’t know somebody like that. I sure hope they can find a way to find some kind of peace with themselves. You’ve gotta be such an incredibly angry person to do something like that.”

Fitzgerald said her brother was shot three times in the chest.

KOIN 6 News will monitor the trial and provide updates as they become available.

Resource Link

• 3 weeks later...

Hillsboro man convicted for murder of tow truck driver

Matthew McAdoo will be sentenced December 5

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Matthew McAdoo, a 44-year-old Hillsboro man accused of murdering a tow truck driver was convicted by a Washington County jury, the District Attorney’s Office reported.

McAdoo was found guilty of second-degree murder with a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon. The charges stem from an incident in June 2021, when McAdoo aggressively confronted 51-year-old Patrick Sanford of Beaverton for towing his vehicle from a Hillsboro apartment complex.

Officials said that Sanford released the vehicle after the initial conversation but was again confronted by McAdoo about half an hour later, and that McAdoo was holding a handgun the second time.

Fearing for his safety, Sanford reportedly pepper sprayed McAdoo, who responded by shooting Sanford three times. Sanford was pronounced dead at the scene.

During the trial, McAdoo claimed that he was acting in self-defense.

Sentencing is set for December 5.

Resource Link

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hillsboro man gets life in prison for 2021 tow truck driver death

HILLSBORO Ore. (KPTV) – A Washington County jury has sentenced a Hillsboro man to life in prison for the 2021 murder of a tow truck driver.

According to the Washington County District Attorney’s Office, Matthew Alexander McAdoo, 44, aggressively confronted tow truck driver Patrick Sanford, 51, for towing his car at the Park Creek Village Apartments the morning of June 17, 2021. Sanford, the owner of Titan Towing, released McAdoo’s car but a little more than 30 minutes later, McAdoo confronted Sanford a second time, now holding a gun.

The D.A.’s Office said Sanford, afraid for his safety, pepper-sprayed McAdoo who responded by shooting Sanford three times. Sanford was pronounced dead at the scene.

During his trial, McAdoo claimed he was acting in self-defense.

In November, McAdoo was found guilty of second-degree murder with a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon with a firearm.

On Monday, McAdoo was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum of 25 years before parole. If ever released, McAdoo will have lifetime post-prison supervision, according to the D.A.’s Office.

Resource Link

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is Barry Sanford, Patrick's older brother.

I only just heard in January about McAdoo's conviction as I live in the Philippines and was not able to elicit a response from the WA County Justice Dept.

Patrick was a truly kind hearted person doing a dangerous, stressful job.  I worked with him over many years in several different businesses.  He always excelled with his strong spirit and cheerful enthusiasm.

I'm still haunted by this tragedy.  Patrick visits me in my dreams every now and then.  Patrick's memory lives on as a character in my new book.

His son Dugan should always be proud of his dad.  I know I am.

Many thanks to Tow Force for keeping everyone up to date on this tragic event and for raising the awareness of the public regarding a dangerous and honorable profession.

Sincerely,

Barry Sanford