Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Above and beyond: Tow truck driver helps stranded motorist (KS)

TowForce

Tow truck driver helps stranded motorist on way to visit mother’s grave

RESOURCE LINK with video

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - When a Wichita man’s car broke down on the way to visit his mother’s grave more than an hour away, a tow truck driver went beyond the call of duty.

Wichita resident Robert McBride said he left to visit his mom’s grave in Macksville on Saturday. Miles from his destination, his car broke down on the highway.

“It so disappointed me because where it broke down at, I hadn’t got to the cemetery yet. So, I figured there’s no way I’ll be able to go. I will have to call a truck to come get me and bring me home and bring the car home. I was really upset about that,” McBride said.

Four hour later, Leo Ritter, a tow truck driver from Hutchinson arrived.

“When Leo got there, it was a typical truck driving guy. He started pulling his chains down,” McBride said.

But there was nothing typical about Ritter. He decided to step up for McBride and not just take him back.

“I said, you’re going to Wichita, right?’ And he said, ‘yeah, but you got to go that way,’ and I said, ‘yeah, in a minute,’” Ritter said.

The driver continued west, going the opposite direction from what McBride expected.

“When he took off, he continued going west and I thought, ‘man, you’re not going the right direction.’ And he turned sideways and looked at me and said, ‘Mr. McBride, you have a date, and you are going to keep that date. I am taking you to the cemetery to do your flowers for your mom,’” McBride said. “And it tore me apart. I wasn’t expecting that he was so kind.”

Ritter not only took McBride to his mother’s grave. He waited for as long as McBride needed.

“I went over to him and said, ‘take your time. Don’t feel like you have to rush. Just slow down, it’s alright,’” Ritter said.

McBride visited the woman he considered his best friend while making a new, unexpected friend on the journey.

“He melted my heart and I thought, ‘thank God there is somebody. And I lucked out (Saturday),” McBride said.

Ritter said he put forth the extra effort for McBride because it was the right thing to do.

“I call it being human. You know, if we were like that to each other all the time, we wouldn’t have anything to worry about in this country or on the face of the planet. If you want that returned, you have to give it. So, why not every day?”

RESOURCE LINK with video

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A Positive Tow Operator Story amongst a field to less than desirable tow companies. Actually there are more good companies out there. It's just that one bad one makes us all look bad. I've been following some of the tow truck Youtubes. Wow, where are these guys and did they just jump in a Tow Truck one day and start hookin cars with little to no training. We used to call them Rookies, I suppose we could call them Rooks for Life, since some are also Crooks...

Leo Ritter, You're A Hero!!! At least you are to A Son and A Mother in Heaven. While this may not qualify as a Hero Award it should...