Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it:

How to initiate change at work:

Sean Haskins - Welcome to the Jungle writes,

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have experienced this: you're new in town and you're enthusiastic, bursting with ideas, ready to own your place at the company. You are excited to bring a different perspective, better tools and more efficient methods to the table.

But you're stopped short. "There's no budget", "This is how we work", "Do we really need these changes?"
It is likely that your new colleagues are doubtful of your ideas. After all, change is always scary.

This does not mean that we should stop proposing change at work. Especially if we believe it's for the best. If you want to get support for your new idea, here are some tips that will come in handy. It's all about the timing!

- - - - - - - - -

This link is actually to a short read, but rather well written and while it is more about the office then towing. There are aspects which carry over and we've all experienced change of some type. I've heard numerous stories over the years about companies which were reluctant to change and companies that brought someone in that made too many changes, too quickly.

Do you have any advise as to making changes to advance the company, even though it ain't broken?

https://www.welcometothejungle.com/en/articles/initiating-change-at-work

You can only suggest ideas, policies, and changes. If a company is not receptive, and the suggestions pertain to safety, you should seek another employer who cares. I recently started working with a company who talks the talk, but crawls when it comes to walking the walk. I delivered to a location recently and was instructed to load/unload in the street. I told them to grab their safety vest, flags, and hard had and come divert traffic for me. I told them that they would need to stand about 100' back so tha th when I heard the thud when they got hit I had some warning. You, and you only are ultimately responsible for your safety. 

As far as other ideas, I have had management and owners that were offended when I suggested new ideas. They thought I was trying to take over. I keep my mouth closed today, do not engage in conversation unless I have to, and pray for payday. If an owner or a manager wants my input they need to ask.