Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Afraid of water

We got this call last weekend after nor'easter. In 24hrs over a dozen companies turned down this call.Public safety had them call me.I sent my little daughter in to hook it up 20minutes later done and dropped at dealer.Sometimes I just dont get it.

IMG_20180304_174151259_HDR.thumb.jpg.ebbf1fd2fa98b66536010c59aed8d0b6.jpgIMG_20180304_174158031.jpg

Kevin's American Towing Service
Ph: 631-654-8811

If there was an open manhole cover near that vehicle you would be in for a surprise . Years ago I had a manhole cover blow off right in front of me as I was walking through 2-3 feet of water . If I hadn't seen it happen I might have ended up in the ocean as food for the lobsters . We handle these a lot differently now .

Tom C

NBAC

About 15 or so years ago I stepped out of the truck, hooked a car in the water and pulled it out. Later I came back to get another one and the water had gone down. What I found scared me enough to never go into the water again. It was an open manhole cover only a few feet from where I had stepped out of the truck into the dirty water. The manhole cover had floated off when the water came up and was on the sidewalk 20 feet away. That was enough for me, I learn my lesson and a again.

They welded that manhole cover and others that were in flood prone area such as underpasses as this one was. Step into an open manhole and its over!

Of course this water was likely clear enough to see through only a few inches and there would not likely be a manhole cover. Today I still will not go into it, but I might use an auto-load to get it out. I'd have to think about that one...

• 9 months later...

Archived