Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Struck/Down - 03.29.21 (MO) "UPDATED to TOWER DOWN 07.19.21"

TowNews

Callaway County wreck sends tow truck driver to hospital after being hit on side of road

KINGDOM CITY, Mo. (KMIZ)

Missouri State Highway Patrol is reporting a wreck on westbound Interstate 70 at the 151-mile marker.

Officials with Troop F report the crash involved a tow truck driver.

A Missouri State Highway Patrol crash report states that a Lexus RT traveling westbound traveled onto the shoulder and hit the Toyota Highlander being loaded onto a vehicle to be towed away.

The tow truck driver, Ryan Brewer, 25, was putting the wench on the Highlander when the crash occurred.

Brewer was hit due to the crash.

Brewer was taken by MU Air to University Hospital with serious injuries.

The driver of the Lexus, Matthew Link, 32, was taken to University Hospital by ambulance.

RESOURCE LINK

Update on Ryan, this is from his wife courtesy of Approved Towing - Fulton

Desirea Brewer

Day 2 with Ryan:

There's not much to report today. He did get to get his lung tubes out today. They've done their job and got all the extra fluid out (mostly blood) from his injuries.

They did an x-ray to make sure that it all went smoothly and it did. We did schedule to have his feeding tube put in his stomach and the ventilator tube to go in through his trachea. This will free up his face and the doctors said that this would be much easier to clean and may even make him a little more comfortable.

They had to turn his sedation up again because his brain isn't quite ready yet. When they turn the sedation down he's trying to breathe too quickly. Right now he's comfortable and that's where we need him to be so that he can heal.

Update on Ryan, this is from his wife courtesy of Approved Towing - Fulton

This post is from Ryans Wife Desirea

Day 3 with Ryan:

A couple things have happened since I was with him yesterday. He did have to get a chest tube put back in the left lung because it had collapsed again, but the right lung is still doing okay.

Ryan's ventilator has been set in the 70%-80% range, but last night they were able to drop it down to 60% and this morning it was dropped down to 50% which is where we have remained today. He has been having some coughing fits due to the tubes all going down his throat so they increased his sedation to make him a little more comfortable.

The surgery to put the feeding tube in his stomach and ventilator tube in his trachea is scheduled for 7am so we hope that this will make him more comfortable and hopefully see some improvement.

He's also started running a slight fever which they see with trauma patients often so they did some blood tests to make sure there isn't any infection. We won't have those results back until probably the morning.

Today's been a bit of a roller coaster, but I am reminded by the doctors and nurses that this is normal for his condition. We are so thankful for all the prayers we have been receiving.

119814544_2767288903516862_4276393080097

Our Condolences to the Family, Friends and coworkers. Sounds like this is going to be a very long and difficult road back to some sorta life. I worry about our drivers and myself continuously and have made them all wear their vests. If you're not wearing it them I need to no way. Do forget ti like dad sometimes does. He's old and he's the owner, I stay on him and you stay on you I say...

PRESS RELEASE / NOTIFICATION OF DEATH

Fulton Missouri Police Department

We want to offer our thoughts and prayers to Ryan Brewer, his family, and the staff of Approved Towing - Fulton

Ryan Brewer passed away from injuries sustained while working to recover a car on I-70.

We have worked multiple calls with Ryan Brewer and he was great to work with. He will be missed.

We want to remind the public about the dangers not only that we have but that Tow Operators have as well. Please slow down and move over when approaching tow trucks, Emergency Responders, or stalled vehicles.

https://www.facebook.com/fultonmopolice/posts/2784520258432376

Todd Leiss with PennTIME - Pennsylvania Statewide Traffic Incident Management Group posted:

Tow Truck Operator Ryan Brewer, Approved Towing - Fulton (Missouri) becomes the 16th United States Emergency Responder struck-by death of 2021.

The wreck involving two other vehicles was reported on the shoulder of Interstate 70 West near the 151-mile marker at 6:05 p.m. Monday night

The report said 32-year-old Matthew Link, of Chesterfield, was driving westbound on I-70 and hit the back of an SUV being loaded onto Brewer's tow truck. Troopers say Brewer was attaching a winch to the vehicle when he was hit by the crash.

Link sustained moderate injuries in the wreck and was also taken to University Hospital, the report said.

Mr. Brewer succumbed to his injuries on Thursday, April 8, 2021.

So far in 2021, 5 tow truck operators, 10 law enforcement officers and 1 DOT/SSP operator has been struck and killed working along United States roadways.

On average, two emergency responders are struck each day with an emergency responder struck and killed every six days. These include police, fire, ems, towing, fire police, DOT and others who respond to assist others along the roadway in their time of need

Slow Down and Move Over.

VIDEO: Fulton residents hold vigil for tow truck operator killed on I-70

https://www.komu.com/news/video-fulton-residents-hold-vigil-for-tow-truck-operator-killed-on-i-70/video_6a22f7d5-549a-5d52-b0f2-e052fb9974b3.html

On behalf of 3D Towing Services Inc./Classic Towing and Storage of Halton.

We would like to extend our condolences to the family of Ryan Brewer.

Our hearts are saddened to learn of his passing as a result of his injuries.

Our prayers go out to you,

Sincerely,

Tow Operators and Staff.

• 3 months later...

Randolph Raceway honors life of tow truck driver at benefit race

MOBERLY - The Randolph Raceway held a benefit race Sunday to honor the life of Ryan Brewer, a tow truck driver who lost his life while hooking up a vehicle on I-70 in March.

Brewer left behind his wife and 2-year-old daughter. A friend set up a GoFundMe for the family in the Spring with a goal of $10,000, which they reached.

Sunday's benefit honored Brewer by doing what he loved to watch, racing.

"It's nice to come out here and support all that and raise some money for their family," race car driver Trevor Gundaker said.

24 companies sponsored the 24 drivers. Drivers competed to win a $10,000 total prize.

"It's always good, like about the racing community, we're always reaching out to help each other and we're all family, whenever we get the chance to help each other we will," Gundaker said.

Brewer's company, Approved Towing, also attended the event and hoisted up the American flag on the trucks for the events.

Part of the proceeds from the ticket sales will go to benefit Brewer's family.

RESOURCE LINK