Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Geri Roskopf’s Blog - I’m Asking a Favor

TowTimes

GeriRoskopf.jpg.a71b9a2766e9123d1cd16e1c

From Geri Roskopf's Blog:

I met a wonderful, young female tow operator the other day. I told her how proud I was of her to take the initiative to learn the towing and recovery industry and become a tow operator. It’s not an easy profession for anyone to come into, let alone a woman. As women in a predominately male profession, we face a few more challenges than just learning how to tow and recover vehicles.

Guys, do you remember how you felt when you went on your first tow or recovery all by yourself? Do you remember the first time pulling up on an incident scene where law enforcement and fire department had their lights flashing? And those first responders were looking to you to quickly help clear the scene? Did you feel a bit anxious and perhaps a bit scared?

Did you get some doubtful looks from the customer or police officer as if to say, “do you really know what you’re doing?”

Now, just think about what it would be like for a female tow operator.

I’ve been on the receiving end of “honey, let me talk to one of the guys” more times than I want to count. First, I’m not your honey, and if I can’t help you, I’ll direct you to one of the guys.

After talking to this new tow operator, she reminded me of something I need to pass on to others, and this is where I’m asking a favor.

Remember when you were the “newbie” at your job? There are plenty of others out there who will doubt, criticize or put someone down for being new, or a female, in this profession. We may be competitors, but let’s go out of our way to encourage and support each other. If we don’t, who will?

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Towtimes/~4/vIWFaUTCtQg

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com

• Like 3