Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

That pole came out of nowhere....

We have been getting smashed here for the past two days with a snow storm that has dumped 16" on us so far. Now work has been some what steady but not crazy.. Most have been staying home and off the roads. Took this call from the city pd this afternoon. The driver of this highlander was going way too fast through this section of road, lost control and pounded a utility pole. Luckily, the 4 occupants were unharmed. It turns out, this was a family who flew up here from Texas and rented this vehicle at the airport to go see their daughter who is attending college here. This was their first time ever even seeing snow, let alone trying to drive in it. They made it  a whole 7 miles from the airport before this...

IMG_0767.jpg

• Like 3

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

We have been lucky in a way I suppose. Between Covid, This storm and The fact the colleges havent opened yet, There really isnt all too many people out and about. I have spent majority of this storm pulling post office LLV's out of the snow banks all throughout the county..I just did my 14th one since yesterday about an hour ago.

• Like 3

Glad to see that your busy! We also got quite a few from the snow we had around here. We got maybe around 14 in. over the last days. Now it is windy and is blowing across the roads some-places, which make ice. Yesterday we had 3 cars slide off the road in 5 min. just down from our shop because of blowing snow.

1 hour ago, Stubborn66 said:

Thats a good days work

I saw the other day a USPS wrecker towing one around here, didn't realize they had their own wreckers.  I had looked into the postal service but could not get a contact person.  

We have private cars to our rural routes around me

Usps does have some of their own trucks here too but they are primarilly used just for swapping them around between different annex's, post offices and such. They are basically just transporters. 

I got in with them years ago through a friends shop that was doing maint, and repairs with them. That was with the big annex in Ithaca. I got tied in with the surrounding villages and town post offices by speaking with the post masters at each one. I personally enjoy working with them. They pay well, the LLV's are not only simple to hook and relatively light, they are pretty rugged so if you have to get a little rough with them they can take it. A few of the rural routes around here use right hand drive converted Subarus and newer Jeep Wranglers. Like where you are, We have some roads and areas that would make anyone from not around here have a stroke just looking at it let alone driving on them. The LLV's wouldnt stand a chance. 

2 hours ago, Derlyn Z said:

Glad to see that your busy! We also got quite a few from the snow we had around here. We got maybe around 14 in. over the last days. Now it is windy and is blowing across the roads some-places, which make ice. Yesterday we had 3 cars slide off the road in 5 min. just down from our shop because of blowing snow.

Gotta love it when they are in your back yard............It takes me 5 miles to get to the nearest main road so I am running after all of them but I have been here all my life and don't see me moving LOL

• Like 1

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...