Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

What are you buying and why?

Copied from my Tow411 post.
Trying to decide on a new, extended cab, medium duty carrier cab and chassis and I'm having a hell of a time making a decision. 
This forum is loaded with issues revolving around the M2. A lot of the issues seem to still center around the FTL electrical BUSS system.
Basically International and Freightliner are putting the same Cummins engine in their trucks. I have a fleet full of IH's and one alone is making me frown on a new IH. 

So what are you running and why? 
Regarding the 260 vs 300 hp Cummins, does the 40 hp make that big a difference in performance and mileage?
What are thoughts on the extra cab F650 with the 6.7?

ASAPsig.jpeg

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is

a Gift, That is why they call it the Present"...unknown

I was in your same predicament myself last summer and opted for the extended cab f650 with fords own 6.7l engine primarily because of its warranty duration (and I would not buy another international on the count of my local IH dealer) Only downside ive seen so far is the obviously smaller cab (then IH and FL) Mine has the 270hp engine and it manages fine for my use, but where I'm located in NY I don't have a lot of hills do deal with so its not lacking in the HP department...hopefully this is helpful

We bought 3 of those new F-650 trucks, one is extended cab. The drivers of them are very pleased, except when it goes to the dealer for warranty repairs. The repairs take forever (one was three months), but they get the recall repairs out very timely. (The Ram trucks have recalls, but there's "no remedy" yet.)

I put about 100 miles on one of the M2 Freightliners last week, and a Hino a few weeks before, and I'll say from a 'ride' and 'driver friendly' point of view, the Freightliner was more comfortable than any truck I've driven since 1985 when I started in this business.

I hope this helps. Jeff.

Jeff Payne - Operator Services & Fleet Services Administrator

Statewide Wrecker Service, Inc - 263 Luxomni Road - Lilburn, GA 30047

SWS Logo 2015.JPG

I can say the 6.7l imo I do like so far except the major oil leak I came across that seems to be common. Newer Cummins I do not know yet still have no opinion but our shakker I really like the Benz motor it has. I think 230hp may even be a 6.7l. I can't say on the md market but for us our 07 M2 ext cab with a chevron bed has been very good to us at 320k now and fires up and rums the hills of North Jersey still.

• 2 months later...

Archived