Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 12.10.16 John William ‘Bubba’ Hubbard II (AL)

Tow411

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Tow truck operator John Hubbard knew his life purpose early on. Hubbard asked for a job at Passmore Towing and Recovery in Bessemer at age 20. Five years later, early Saturday morning, his earthly mission ended. Fellow tow truck drivers tell ABC 33/40 Hubbard was the type guy who went out of his way to help people.

"He was a hard worker. He loved his job. He loved the towing business. You've got to love it to do it," said Dwayne Kizziah, owner of Dwayne's Towing and Recovery in Tuscaloosa.

Wednesday, traffic homicide investigators mapped the scene where Hubbard was killed over the weekend on Interstate 59/20. The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said two vehicles collided Saturday causing one to strike the disabled car Hubbard was servicing. ALEA has not determined if Alabama's Move Over Law was a factor in the crash. Either way, tow truck operators like Kizziah want you to slow down and move over.

"I worked one [a crash] one time and all I heard was run. Everybody ran through the bushes and cars were piling up because somebody came through there and started hitting their breaks trying to see what was going on and they just piled up and it caused more accidents than we were working," Kizziah said while explaining why the Move Over Law is so important.

AAA Alabama also released a statement concerning Hubbard's death. “AAA service providers face treacherous highway conditions every day in their efforts to help stranded motorists. Working on the side of the highway is very dangerous and emergency personnel are always concerned for their safety. It is extremely important that motorists understand and obey the Move Over Law to prevent these unnecessary injuries and deaths on our highways," said Clay Ingram with AAA Alabama.

Tow truck operators from across the region will drive their trucks in Hubbard's funeral procession this weekend. After the funeral service at 2 p.m. this Saturday, the procession will travel from Crestview Memorial Funeral Home in Jefferson County to Pumpkin Center Baptist Church in Walker County.

"We're going to take our trucks, show respect, and bring awareness to the law. We don't want anybody else killed," Kizziah explained.

RESOURCE LINK

John William “Bubba” Hubbard II, 25, of Quinton, passed away Saturday, Dec. 10, 2016, after a tragic accident. As a result, John chose to give life to others as an organ donor.

Bubba worked for Classic/Passmore Towing for more than five years, a true calling and passion. Being a tow truck driver allowed him to follow his love of helping others. He was a man that followed the Golden Rule. He loved his Lord and loved to live life to the fullest. His love for his Momma, “Jabo,” “Pooh” and “Baby Tula Jane” was strong. Bubba also had a love for playing music with his brothers and “Edna Faye,” and a love for animals, fishing, blowing stuff up and moonshine. He was loved and cherished by his family and will be forever missed.

He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Troy McCain and Vickey McCain; great-grandparents, Herb Grove, Grace Grove, Victor Moore Sr., and Lillian Moore; aunts, Dixie McCain, Yvonne Howard, and Denise Hyche; and uncle, Victor Moore Jr.

Bubba is survived by his mother, Angie Smith (Mark Yarbrough); brothers, Jared “Jabo” Hubbard and Jason “Pooh” Hubbard (Devon Salter); baby sister, Olivia “Tula Jane” Hubbard; nephew, Gavin Hubbard; aunts, Lynn Higgins (Bruce), Christy Duncan (Roger), Victoria Shirley and Ryan Dailey (Jeremy); special aunt, KK Fout; uncle, Shannon Glaze (Misty); grandmother, Shirley “GS” Glaze; aunt and uncles, Bob and Cathy Carswell, Bruce and Janice, Ed and Linda Morris, Gerald Howard, Gail Howard, and Randy and Margaret Davenport; his “Pappy,” Wesley Passmore and family; cousins, Colby (Jessie), Vicki (Justin), Baby Bruce, Elijah, Desiree (Alex), Shelby “Edna Faye,” Lilly, Josh “Corn Dog,” John Stephen, Desmond, Xavier, Ariel, Cameron, Morgan, Bobby, Lynn, Lillian, Amber, JT, Booger, Lee, Amy, Jerry, Amanda, Scarlett, and Dee; and many other extended family members and friends; and especially his co-workers, who he considered to be his brothers and family.

Funeral services will be Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016, at 2 p.m. at Crestview Memorial Funeral Home. Visitation will be from 11:30 a.m. until time of service. Burial will at Sunset Cemetery in Pumpkin Center.

Pallbearers will be Bubba’s tow truck brothers, David Sanford, Frankie McMillian, Chris Hamric, Brad Pullen, Ryan Cartee, Josh Ward, Jeremy Hogg and Justin Rubin.

The family would like to extend a special thanks to Wes Passmore, Ryan Daily, the Hoggle Family singers, and the many other friends who have helped the family through this difficult time.

RESOURCE LINK

Proud of our association for the work we did back in 2009 to make the laws discussed in this interview apply to our profession. Unfortunately, as this tragic accident proves, we still have work to do. Let's everyone remain vigilant and do our part to make sure our brothers and sisters come home safely to their families at the end of the day. There is still work to be done!

We are also asking for anyone who can bring a truck out to participate in the funeral procession for John (Bubba) Hubbard tomorrow (Saturday) at 11:30 at Crestview Memorial Funeral Home in Adamsville, AL. Let's rally around this family and honor, love, and support them.

RESOURCE LINK

From time to time I find myself thinking about Hubba Bubba, I find myself reading his old messages and some makes me smile others bring a tear.

I remember us going to a funeral of a driver that had gotten killed, John asked me. Pappie what can we do to stop this, how can we save lives.

On December 10th, 2016 the call came in John Hubbard had crushed between the guardrail and car. I remember every moment of that day. I had to be strong. Not for me but my crew yet my best friend, the kid I had trained to replace me, my son,

John Hubbard was killed by a careless driver. So, I share this to everyone as I’m thinking about John and what he would say to me. He would say, Pappie let fix this problem, we don’t give up. I love you and miss you John ( Hubba Bubba )Hubbard.

Bubba121016.thumb.jpg.bd9ea48ccfe6a6f03bf08a8806a64a16.jpgJohn121016.thumb.jpg.4cfa5e619e5ae3015e6bf2e393eb5d15.jpg

Please remember this as you travel the roadway.

The 4th Annual Slow Down, Move Over Awareness Rally will be held next Sunday, December 6th, 2020, Hueytown, Alabama. Join us if you can, starts at 1pm

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...