Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Need advise on Seagrave Firetruck Tow.

I have a request to impound this 1968 Seagrave Fire Truck from the Park Service day after tomorrow. Its on a different Island requiring a ferry ride away so I can not lay eyes on it to get a game plan. Ill be taking my 1981 KW W900A tandem with a 750 Holmes/Z20 Zacklift.

Hoping for some old schoolers here to advise:

Air or hydraulic brakes?

Not sure if its auto or manual transmission, pull the shaft with either way on this old dog?

Id love to grab it by the rear but unsure of frame strength near the rear bumper for forking? Thank you.

KIMG4321.JPG

• Like 1

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

It will probably be air braked and a auto trans being that vintage so caging will definitley be needed unless it is aired up or you can start it of course. There isnt really all too much to grab ahold of in the rear due to the step, water tank and booster reel in the back so you will probably be better off getting her from the front. Now depending on how far you have to tow it to the ferry at what speed would determine if I pull the shaft or not. inside 5 miles at less than 30 mph I would grab n go then maybe pop it out during the ferry ride. Anymore than that I would pull it right away. 

I will say this is the first time I have heard of a fire truck being impounded. Lol

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

It does not run, bought recently locally & broke down where it sits. I hope to be able to run air & pull shaft on scene without drama, forking from the front sounds like the way to go if the rails are not covered with fire dept doodads:)

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

If it is not equipped with a front suction or discharge pipe, you should be able to frame fork it with ease. Not to jinx you, But I have had 50/50 results with fire apparatus through the years. Some are as simple as any other rig and others have caused some serious grief for me.. As far as airing it up, I cant for the life of me remember what brand of apparatus it was but there may be an access panel inside the drivers door step that has both air connections on valved glad hands behind it. Might of been the old Mack cf series.. I cant remember,,, sucks getting old... LOL 

Good luck with it, Hoping it turns out to be a drama and B.S. free deal for you.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Orcas Tow received good information on the Vintage Holmes Wrecker Group on FB:

In Order to Provide further information within this topic which can be searched I will be adding a few of those comments here.

Sean Wright said:
Front grab, look into the type of PTO it has for the pump to road gear. Your 3 stage switches the center disengages the driveline.

Some older rigs have a regular pull cord or a 2 stage flip switch. But there are old girls running around with this style. My Department's 68 Seagrave has one like this.

SeagraveA.jpg

This will be in the cab in reach of the driver.

SeagraveB.jpg

Brian Bell said:
Do you have a set of Spring Forks? I just looked at my seagrave and it looks like you could spring fork it.

SeagraveC.jpg

SeagraveD.jpg

This is pass side right behind bumper
SeagraveE.jpg

Sorry these pictures aren’t any better ... this thing is sitting in the grass and an Armadillo has been having a field day around it... didn’t want to totally lay down in all that
SeagraveF.jpg

Drivers side frame rail
SeagraveG.jpg

Orcas Tow said:
I do have spring forks, that is great, thank you for the pictures!

Brian Bell said:
6ft to the front axle and not a possibility to rear tow mine with a z-20

Orcas Tow said:
Well as long as you dont need to turn, thanks again for all the pictures, looks like frame forks would work also. Thats a heck of a spring stack!

Brian Bell said:
Any Updates ?

Orcas Tow said:
Sheriffs Office went out this morning, owner was in the truck very volatile refusing to get out, owner told Sheriff he would have to forcibly remove him to tow. Sheriff said he would not do that on trespass only situation, so it is still there.

While there were more comments, these were the most informative. There may be more that should have been added.