Quantcast
  • Come join the TowForce community.

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

ENGINE WARNING LIGHT - LIMP MODE??

We have a 2000 international that the engine warning lite comes on as soon as the truck gets to about 20mph and then goes into limp mode. We have replaced just about every switch on the truck, and am waiting for a new ICP to arrive tomorrow. Any suggestions? Any and all posts helpfully. Thanks in advance.... Rick

• TowZone featured this topic

You are going to need codes to diagnose properly.Last one I worked on everything was replaced ecm and sensors.When I got hold of it turned out to be defective crank sensor.Changing parts without proper diagnosis wastes alot of time and money.There are numerous diesel sites that can help with proper diagnosis.

• Like 1

Kevin's American Towing Service
Ph: 631-654-8811

I agree with kjband, It does sound like a bad crank sensor ( they were known for throwing crazy fits with anything but oem International sensors ) But to better help you I would need a list of trouble codes she's throwing on you Sir.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

2 minutes ago, Kjband13oc said:

model and engine please

Ditto.

The Vin #  ( at least the last 8 ) might help too. Then I can play with this new software I have on my new-to me diagnostics computer.

With all the relative info I think collectively we can point you in the right direction Mr. OldTow. 

26 minutes ago, Kjband13oc said:

model and engine please

International year 2000, model 4700 Engine DT466E 

Does that help??

20 minutes ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

Ditto.

The Vin #  ( at least the last 8 ) might help too. Then I can play with this new software I have on my new-to me diagnostics computer.

With all the relative info I think collectively we can point you in the right direction Mr. OldTow. 

VIN # 1HTSCAAL4XH682782

111      ECM      No errors detected - flash code only
222        N/A
113      ECM PWR      Electrical system voltage B+ out-of-range low
333     ICP SYS Injection Control Pressure above/below desired level
 225      EOP     EOP sensor signal in-range fault
626      ECM/PWR     Unexpected reset fault

Start with basics Check batt  voltage ,connections and alternator output  in those years there used to be a thin wire off battery that get corroded and cause all kinds of grief   it went to ecm system

Boyyyy what a great help y'all are. The sensor should be here today, will install it and let you know what happens. Do you have a part number for the crank sensor?

Thanks so much for what y'all have done so far.... Rick

Majority of your codes are related to voltage issues. Start with all your battery connections and battery condition. Check them, clean them, tighten them. There is an independent wire that will run off your battery positive that feeds directly to the ecm of the truck. There may or may not be a fuse installed on it. ( I have seen them with and without ) that particular wire has been known to corrode and cause a plethora of issues including the symptoms your experiencing. Check all your obvious ground connections. Battery to chassis, cab to chassis, engine block to chassis. Again, check, clean and tighten. Those 7.3's ( dt466e ) were known to vibrate things loose over time as I am sure you know. On more than one occasion, I have found a loose chassis ground that was the culprit of months-long headaches for guys. 

Your Icp issue may or may not be related to the voltage issue your experiencing. Since you said you already ordered it, I would toss it on there since it isnt a big deal to do it and they were known to crap out regularly anyway. 

Good luck with it sir. Hopefully you get her nailed down in short order.

NOTE, Just as I posted this, I noticed  KJBAND13OC had also gave you a run down of basically, the same things I mentioned. Sorry kjband13oc, didnt mean to step on toes and repeat what you already said.

Edited by GRUMPS The Towman
apology.

Ok, I will start checking all the connections this evening and tomorrow. Doesn't seem like I get as much done in one day these days at 83 as I did when I was 53 🤣 Sure wish I would have listened more to the mechanics when I used to have one on the payroll, just me and Maw now. 😳 Thanks Y'all !!

Edited by Old Tow
  • TowZone unfeatured this topic

Ok, pulled the old sensor out but had the wrong new one, soooo back to the drawing board. Gonna look at the crank sensor next I guess. I'm beginning to think I should retitle this "Old Dude Worked On Truck, Haven't Seen Him Since" !!  😳

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Custom Stickers, Die Cut Stickers, Bumper Stickers - Sticker Mule
1 hour ago, Kjband13oc said:

I dont know if you bought parts yet.Its better to buy from IH less failure rate.

100% agree with that statement. ESPECIALLY the crank sensor !! There is all sorts of horror stories out there of issues with non International brand sensors.

The initial cost of dealer parts sucks but believe me, it pays dividends from not chasing phantom issues caused by knock-off / no-name parts.

Been there, Done that and I got the t-shirt to prove it !!! LOL

Edited by GRUMPS The Towman

• 2 weeks later...