Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Ideas

25 minutes ago, rreschran said:

Hey Josh ... welcome. As me being the consummate old duffer and non-tech saavy ... what in the hell did you ask?

That's waaaaaaay beyond my pay grade.       R.

He is referring to adding a performance enhancing programmer to his trucks pcm/ecu. As well as deleting some of the trucks emissions equipment Mr. Resch.

Now, If I may ask, Did you perform these modifications on a commercial tow truck? If you did, Then I hate to break it to you, But you have broken federal law. If you are a business for hire with U.S d.o.t. numbers and get pulled in for any level of d.o.t. inspection, The moment the inspector sees you have altered the emissions system and modified the ecu, they are more than likely going to impound your truck, revoke your d.o.t. #'s and nail you with a littany of violations that will cost you thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Believe me, If I could LEGALLY delete the emissions systems and install a proper programmer to my trucks, I would in a heartbeat. But as a for profit- legally run towing/recovery business, that is not possible. 

Many programmers out there are cheaply built in nature, although the prices dont reflect such( mainly due to the fact they are illegal ) and usually end up causing more problems than they are worth. ( like transmission, driveability, body controler issues, or completely cooking the trucks ecu ). Of course all of this depends on the programmer, type of truck, new or previously used programmer, etc..

I hope for your sake, this is not the case. I would remove the programmer and see if the trucks ecu " forgets" the transmission faults. If it does, then the problem is in the programmer. If they dont disappear, then my guess would be that installing the programmer damaged the trucks ecu. In any event, I would stay very clear of any and all d.o.t.weigh stations and spot checks  and get your rig back together with all the operating emissions gear back on. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

4 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

He is referring to adding a performance enhancing programmer to his trucks pcm/ecu. As well as deleting some of the trucks emissions equipment Mr. Resch.

Now, If I may ask, Did you perform these modifications on a commercial tow truck? If you did, Then I hate to break it to you, But you have broken federal law. If you are a business for hire with U.S d.o.t. numbers and get pulled in for any level of d.o.t. inspection, The moment the inspector sees you have altered the emissions system and modified the ecu, they are more than likely going to impound your truck, revoke your d.o.t. #'s and nail you with a littany of violations that will cost you thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Believe me, If I could LEGALLY delete the emissions systems and install a proper programmer to my trucks, I would in a heartbeat. But as a for profit- legally run towing/recovery business, that is not possible. 

Many programmers out there are cheaply built in nature, although the prices dont reflect such( mainly due to the fact they are illegal ) and usually end up causing more problems than they are worth. ( like transmission, driveability, body controler issues, or completely cooking the trucks ecu ). Of course all of this depends on the programmer, type of truck, new or previously used programmer, etc..

I hope for your sake, this is not the case. I would remove the programmer and see if the trucks ecu " forgets" the transmission faults. If it does, then the problem is in the programmer. If they dont disappear, then my guess would be that installing the programmer damaged the trucks ecu. In any event, I would stay very clear of any and all d.o.t.weigh stations and spot checks  and get your rig back together with all the operating emissions gear back on. 

The ecu was programmed to have more power and a delete of egr system, and this truck will be private use only no D.O.T #.

Anyways after the programming my check transmission light its now on. Im unsure of what to do I think it has something to do with the programming causing the check trans light on.

As Grumps said, it is a violation to modify emissions systems, even on private trucks, just more likely to get caught in a commercial truck.

There are a number of issues that arise with using programmers.  You will also need to know what the actual code is that's triggering the light.  Some of the "cheap" programs lead to this TCM issue and there is sometimes a secondary programing of the TCM that needs to be done.

Do you have or did you install an EGT gauge?  I would not run any modification without having an EGT gauge.  Getting more horse power is great for towing but you also are shortening the life of the engine potentially.  

On 11/2/2020 at 11:11 PM, Josh said:

but now my check trans is on after reinstalling the brain

Reinstalling the brain leads me to believe you had the PCM re-flashed or a chip installed.  I would be contacting whoever did the chip or re-flash and asking a lot of questions.  Unfortunately, most of these companies have specific disclaimers that they are not responsible if their units fail or do damage to your PCM.

If it is an add on chip that was installed on the PCM I would recommend you have it uninstalled, they are known to be problematic down the road due to vibration and corrosion.  If you had the PCM re-written, you will need to send it back to whoever did the re-write.

If it is a plug and play, I would also reprogram it back to the stock setting.  Be sure to have a charger on the battery when doing the programming. 

• Like 2

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...