Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Buying a light duty rollback

Brady Caul

I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying a F550 rollback with the new 7.3 gas. It’s main purpose would be towing cars and light trucks under 8000 pounds. Does anyone ever regret buying a small truck? Or does anybody have experience with the 7.3 gas yet. 
thanks! 

I would look at the percentage of calls you get that you can use that truck for.  I almost bought one this year, and would recommend it as the best powertrain in a new 19,500 550 flatbed. I did a bunch of research, and think this will be a great engine.  It also has great upgrade performance potential.   I'm going to wait till next year now, COVID hit, and trucks were not available with the 7.3 when they were supposed to be.  I ended up getting a used F650 with a Cummins instead(to get legal for Ca.), without too much risk.  Newer diesel trucks are expensive to run, and keep running.  I would recommend finding a dealer/upfitter that can get you a good extended warranty, just in case they have issues like the V10s.  

• 5 weeks later...

My hino 195 has a 4cyl diesel its good on fuel and hauls 2 cars. 21' aluminum bed. Factory option derated to 17,900 gvwr so its under the weight limit which greatly reduces paperwork. No regrets so far. The truck will haul any normal vehicle. I was thinking about getting a 7 3 gasser but there's a couple sitting at the local dealer waiting on unavailable parts and I got scared.