Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Ratchets and Straps for Dollies ... Do You Use Them ? ?

Another tow company is being sued for not securing dollies onto a towed vehicle. Since this is a matter of safety training for tow operators, does your state's law require them?

Even if there's no written vehicle code law in your state, do you use safety ratchets and straps to keep towed vehicles contained? Does it matter?       R.

Randall C. Resch

This is a neat subject to touch on.

New york has some "Hinkey" laws regarding certain types of what they consider "equipment". For instance, A regular, run of the mill 4'x10' utility trailer that you would haul your lawn tractor on requires a registration and state inspection in order to be towed on state roadways. Yet, a tow behind, 2500 lb., diesel powered wood chipper that an arborist company would use or one of those tow dollies that you drive the front wheels of a vehicle up on for instance are considered equipment or machinery and does not require registration or inspection. As far as laws regarding securement straps on tow truck dollies, there is no real written law. What I have found is D.O.T. here tends to use the manufacterers recommendation in regards to securement. So if a set of Collins dollies instructions say they require straps ( which the owners manual does say they do ) then the state will require them. I personally have always used straps on my dollies although I see alot of companies around here do not. We have a lot of rough, pot hole filled, steep and off camber roads around here that will easilly knock a car off the dollies. Happens all the time around here. Even with straps I had one get knocked off on a monster pot hole I couldnt avoid. But they stayed secured to the casualty from the other side and stayed all together. I have witnessed other guys have them bounce off and then of course disassemble themselves so there 2 bars and 2 dolly frames bouncing all over the road for other drivers to try and avoid.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I have Collins Dollies and always use the straps, as Grumps stated, the straps are called for in Collins.

As a side note, the Vulcan wheel scoops are listed as strapless by Vulcan but I have heard of DOT giving guys a hard time (tickets) for not strapping them.  If you do strap a Vulcan, it takes pressure off the scoop and actually creates the ability for the scoop to disengage from the pin

• Like 1

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

The Vulcan strapless systems have been an on-going debate with the towers and the local d.o.t. boys for years around here. Pretty much all the tow companies around here ran the Vulcans up untill the past few years. After much debate, It was agreed that operators would secure between the cross bar and the vehicles suspension/chassis whenever possible. Back when I ran a Vulcan, I actually ended up going to the state police barracks With literature in hand directly from Vulcan and demonstrating what happens when you put a strap on from the scoop because they were constantly stopping all of us for improper securement. We had this one Trooper who gave us all sorts of crap even after showing him the Vulcan paperwork and showing him how the pins dis-engage when strapped up. This was actually one of my main reasons for switching back to Jerr-Dan and Chevron. That and the Steel bodied 410's and such would rot right off the trucks in a few short years due to the amount of salt they dump around here in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time, in addition I secure the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. I am in an area where we have narrow winding country roads with a high center crown & if you do not strap or secure the steering wheel the dollies will wander with the road crown or while going around a sharp turn at speed. I use the same ratchet & 2" laso strap on the dollies as the strap pictured on the wheel lift. I run Collins & ITD, they all get straps.

IMG_1270.JPG

Edited by Orcas Tow
  • Like 4

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

Orcas Picture is an excellent example of a properly secured casualty. New Operators should take notice of how his safety chains are run ON TOP of the cross bar. Not secured to it, Not under it, But over. That is a Law up here that is enforced regularly. They get tons of guys with that one. Nice work. 

• Like 1

We strap in as well.  But no specific law requiring.  I would think that the  FMCSA is the law when dealing with cargo  securement.  It makes sense to secure its no different than a wheel lift.  Have you ever seen 4 large projectiles at one time?  Quite the site.

Great picture, cross the secondaries would be my only change.  

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

3 hours ago, KY Nick said:

We strap in as well.  But no specific law requiring.  I would think that the  FMCSA is the law when dealing with cargo  securement.  It makes sense to secure its no different than a wheel lift.  Have you ever seen 4 large projectiles at one time?  Quite the site.

Great picture, cross the secondaries would be my only change.  

I was taught and always was a "crossed chains" secondary untill about a year ago when I was stopped by dot and they told me that it was illegal to cross them although he couldnt give me a reasonable explanation as to why. I havent since just to appease our road side inspection friends.

I have always crossed the chains and it is well documented that they must be crossed to be legal.  I saw many pictures on here where guys weren't crossing them and I thought it was a tow truck thing.  I did it for a while but on one sharp turn with the wrecker I was able to see the safety tighten up and start pulling the tire up and out of the wheel grid, that was enough for me.

Grumps, appeasing the officer is the way to go but if you know another officer well enough I might ask him about it.

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

9 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

I was taught and always was a "crossed chains" secondary untill about a year ago when I was stopped by dot and they told me that it was illegal to cross them although he couldnt give me a reasonable explanation as to why. I havent since just to appease our road side inspection friends.

These are crossed under the underlift, this is on my flatbed so the wheel lift is out quite a ways to clear the deck giving the appearance they aren't. I had to load on a ferry boat with this one that has about a 2-3 foot drop at the loading ramp depending on the tide hence the high wheel lift height pictured. I agree crossed safety chains allow more turning slack & would hold the casualty in the lane behind the truck better than un crossed.

IMG_1274.JPG

Edited by Orcas Tow

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 6:04 AM, GRUMPS The Towman said:

That inspector was incorrect, it is a requirement of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations to cross the safety chains and attach them to the tow bar. Tow trucks are regulated as driveaway/towaway equipment for the purposes of lighting, braking and securement. Our tow bars, slings, wheel lifts and even dollies fall under these regulations as well. Now, the regulations requiring securement to the dolly structure are not as clear and dry, the FMCSRs call for a solid means of coupling such as a U-Bolt or equivalent, which is impracticable for tow dollies so straps have been taken to be equivalent.

Keep in mind that almost every state adopts these federal regulations into state code so that they can get motor carrier safety assistance program grant money, meaning even if you don't think you are subject to the federal regulations you most likely are because they have a corresponding state level law. In your state, New York, the dolly requirements for securement are codified in Article 9 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law, section 375.29(a) and safety chains are required by federal regulation as adopted by New York under Title 17 Section 820 of the New York Code Rules and Regulations.

(10) Safety devices in case of tow-bar failure or disconnection.

(i) The towed vehicle shall be connected to the towing vehicle by a safety device to prevent the towed vehicle from breaking loose in the event the tow-bar fails or becomes disconnected. When safety chains or cables are used as the safety device for that vehicle, at least two safety chains or cables meeting the requirements of paragraph (h)(10)(ii) of this section shall be used. The tensile strength of the safety device and the means of attachment to the vehicles shall be at least equivalent to the corresponding longitudinal strength for tow-bars required in the table of paragraph (h)(1) of this section. If safety chains or cables are used as the safety device, the required strength shall be the combined strength of the combination of chains and cables.

(ii) If chains or cables are used as the safety device, they shall be crossed and attached to the vehicles near the points of bumper attachments to the chassis of the vehicles. The length of chain used shall be no more than necessary to permit free turning of the vehicles. The chains shall be attached to the tow-bar at the point of crossing or as close to that point as is practicable.

29-a.  No vehicle or mobile equipment shall be towed with the use of a
  dolly unless the dolly, vehicle or mobile equipment is  secured  to  the
  towing  vehicle by safety chains or cables which will prevent the dolly,
  vehicle or mobile equipment from separating from the towing vehicle  and
  the towed vehicle or mobile equipment is securely fastened to the dolly.
  Dolly  shall  mean  a  multi-wheel  device utilized to raise a part of a
  towed vehicle or mobile equipment while it is  being  towed  by  another
  vehicle.

• Like 1