Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Caa doing heavies now

TowZone

06-22-2011: Originally posted by tcsc1,

Had a call last week for a F550 in the ditch (gvw19+) call was cancelled while enroute as phone company was a CAA member & CAA was dispatching. Believe it or not a heavy wrecker was dispatched by CAA from 2 towns away to do the call. Anybody else heard of this? If they get into the med/heavy market it won't do us any good. D

Paul Windsor said: Funny you say that CAA call this morning asking for a heavy to winch out a box truck blew me away when did they get in to the heavy market??

Mr Bill said: from Ford roadside I would assume.

JAB Towing said: CAA has us down for our 3212 and actually it is not to bad, they pay per hour from the time the truck starts rolling until the truck is parked.

tcsc1 said: This customer (Bell Canada if I can say that) has some sort of fleet CAA account, that is supposed to look after all their tow needs. JAB do they pay your standard rate or did they "negotiate" a cut rate? D.

JAB Towing said: As discussed on the phone sir, they are not paying all that bad really.

Jeff98970: At Diamond we are not a CAA vendor. In fact we are not vendors for any auto clubs, however we end up getting about 6 CAA calls a year on a cod basis, usually flatbed or float calls and I have to say, they are all great paying calls with no troubles collecting.

Speedytow said: You are getting the call from CAA, but I think the fleet customer would be with Club Auto. CAA is a "not for profit" motor club for passenger vehicles and RVs. Ford Roadside, Bell etc. would be the commercial, for profit, resale of your services accomplished thru CAA's network by leveraging their huge position in the towing market against you. They just took more market share, and show no signs of letting up.
Funny how a powerful, not for profit brand like CAA can seemingly be used to gather up market share in a commercial capacity like that. CAA, FORD and BELL are all powerful brands. What does a Club Auto logo look like? Have you ever seen one?

Mikeshome said: Bell is just one of many fleets that use CAA to handle there towing that way they can get a truck any where any time.Ford also uses them when vehicles are under warranty.We do all 3 light,medium and heavy.

Brutus said: Just had a training seminar last week. This topic came up and we were told (shown) that there are 2 types of
roadside assistance.
1 - passenger vehicle which covers the member in an applicable vehicle for type of coverage,
ie ... basic plus or rv .
2 - commercial vehicle assist which covers the vehicle not the person in it.
And yes I believe Club Auto has a lot to do with it. First time I noticed the commercial deals was with a Ford f550 that
came thru as an MMP tow call.
We have had a heavy rate thru BCAA for a long time because of the rv's, and they pay pretty good (port - port).

lstyba said: It is a Ford, it has a warranty and roadside assist when purchased from dealer and CAA is covering the vehicle not person. I don't have an issue with this scenario personally.

Grenadier said: We see CAA for RV's mostly, which we use the tandems.

-Michael - BTech Emergency Management - CBU - 2012 - BBA - UNB - 2007 - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

wm050915 said: CAA med heavy tows for Ford etc. and Plus rv type tows, pays reasonably well. I get as much, or more for my single axle lt med truck than the local competition is currently charging for a tandem wrecker on a private call. Not so bad I think. Light duty CAA rates are nothing to write home about though. I think you will see CAA taking on more and more other contract roadside work just to make themselves stronger , and therefore ensuring that the contractors working for them continue to have revenue streams. With our location without CAA we would not be able to stay afloat. Not enough private retail and Commercial accounts work to sustain even one truck outfits. But the more CAA gets involved with the more revenue I can make. Keeps me a little busier when things slow down.

Northbaybrownstowing said: What is your heavy rate (mileage, hourly) if you don't mind.......we are starting to get their calls as well....

wm050915 said: Each province is likely going to be a bit different, but we get between $100.00 and $150.00 for hook and drive shaft plus mileage, based on RV rates. To my knowledge they still do not cover commercial use vehicles such as tractor trailers, and big box trucks etc.

towdriver said: We are also getting more calls for larger vehicles from caa. most for 450 and larger rv. when they call I get a credit card number before I leave (or I don't go) and charge the same rate I would to tow the same size vehicle thats not caa. For a tow its hook and shaft (if I can't rear tow) and KM. Winch out is per hour.

Grenadeir said: I got a CAA call the other night to tow one of their service providers. Heavy rate for a 1 ton. Great call. 
Well, minus the insane rain and lack of visibility (lamp posts and exit lights out on the 416).

Archived