Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Are Hard Hats Required ? ? ? ?

This is an old topic that has reared it's ugly head again with new and younger generation of commercial officers showing up at heavy recoveries. Several heavy providers in different locations within the state have contacted me after they've been aggressively reprimanded by commercial officers regarding wearing hard-hats for towers performing recovery operations, specifically in Class C, D and Rotator operations. 

Per OSHA regulation: Section 29 CFR Part 1926 Subpart E (Personal Protective and Life Saving Equipment), §1926.95 (Criteria for personal protective equipment), and where Section 1926 defines, under §1926.28(a):

“[t]he employer is responsible for requiring the wearing of appropriate personal protective equipment in all operations where there is an exposure to hazardous conditions or where this part indicates the need for using such equipment to reduce the hazards to the employees.”

Hard-hats are inexpensive and serve a purpose in recovery.What (if anything) are you doing to meet PPE requirements for your employees doing heavy recovery? Do you provide hard-hats to your drivers or do they provide their own as part of their driver equipment?       R.

Randall C. Resch

In the UK  all employers have a legal requirement to ensure the health and safety  regulations are correctly implemented to protect their workforce, the customer, the general public  and the environment 

Employers have a duty of care to provide the suitable  Training  and  PPE  for members of the workforce  relevant to the  risks the individual may be exposed doing the jobs before them... 

However ..some employers choose to cut corners to cut costs ...or do not see the risks ....or ignore them 

My company operated a strict policy .and spent a lot of money on company uniforms and PPE ..

All employees were required to wear  company uniforms  during working hours .....and safety clothing  whilst working at the roadside  or Recovery scenes or job sites 

Hard hats  were MANDATORY  on all Recovery  winching and lifting  operations .....No exceptions ....it was company requirements    "NO PPE  NO WORK .".. several times I sent individuals off of the job because they showed up without part of their ppe ...

Additionally ...... I organised Recovery demonstrations and did the commentary at numerous  tow shows and trucking events  and would not allow anyone in the arena without hard  hats   and that included the official photographers.......

However ...this didn't always work well for us and we lost a couple of good guys who walked out  ....because they thought they were above wearing safety equipment 

we also had a couple of guys injured whilst working at the roadside......... including my son Graham ...

Sadly ....we had one killed ..(.I think I may have mentioned this before on a previous post )  whilst attending a breakdown...and that was heartbreaking  !!!!

In my opinion...Hard hats are an absolutely vital part of your safety equipment and must be worn at all times on the job scene 

Your never see a fireman turn up at an incident without his or her hard hat and safety  clothing on ....

John 

• Like 2

I have to disagree with "Hard-hats are inexpensive"

While Hard Hats are inexpensive for the construction industry. Proper Protection for the towing industry is more expensive. Hard Hats protect from over head dangers and offer little if any protection from the sides or back.

HH1.jpg

HH2.jpg

HH5.JPG

HH&.jpg    HH7.png     HH6.jpg

I have thought numerous times of investing in a quality Hard Hat.

My choice would likely be the Safety Green one in the center.

HH4.jpg

HH3.jpg

• Like 1

Both of my l/d trucks have hard hats in them and I have made it a habit to wear mine whenever I have more than 20' of line stretched off my truck or there is any sort of falling debris chance around my work area. Sure I have been laughed at by some other towers at scenes but I am not in this industry to be the cool guy. I am here to do the job right and safe. Theres way too many tough guys in this industry already. i dont need to be one too.

Imagine what a winch hook will do to someones head should the rigging let go... 

Edited by GRUMPS The Towman
  • Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Don't get me wrong any Hard Hat is better than none. I simply prefer the Emergency Responder Helmets to Common Construction Hard Hats Hats. I have a couple of those and find that an insert in a ball car works nearly as well when I bump my head. It's the lack of a chin strap on a cheap hard hat that concerns me in the towing industry. I am sure John aka mushpeed can educate us on the UK standard.

• Like 1

We supply hard hats at our operation, and started that about 20 years ago.  I agree hard hats for our industry should be more than an ordinary construction style hat, but the towing industry has to take baby steps.  

I have recently invested in a PMI hard hat with the chin strap.  I must say it was more than a construction style hat but it is more comfortable, better fitting, more secure, anestheticly more professional.  I love this hat  so much so I don't want to get it dirty.  I have also recently purchased a Halo light for my hat.  That makes all the difference in the world.  I find myself not using as many work lights on wrecker because my hard hat lights up what I am doing along with a red flashing around the brim.  I think they should be mandatory and part of any operators uniform. 

I also want to to say this if law enforcement is going to be on the scene as well they should have one as well, but don't see that happening any time soon.  

20200618_102601.jpg

20200618_102553.jpg

20200410_115621.jpg

• Like 2

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

In California, a hard-hard, bump cap, or full-blown rescue helmet is NOT required by the California HIghway Patrol for companies that service as rotation providers.  

Ron challenged my choice of wording that, "hard hats are inexpensive," and he's right.

Perhaps I should have worded this topic better as there IS a world of difference between a nine-dollar bump cap versus that of a rescue helmet. Pictured is my son Brandon outfitted with a rescue helmet worn by the Orange County (CA) Fire Department. I personally like how the helmet has a good size ledge to funnel water off the wearer's neck and to hang lighting devices and rescue goggles, while Comm's also fit over the edge. Once again the lack of industry standards sidesteps this requirement.  Thanks John for your insight.

I remember when skull-cap (helmets) came out for motorcycle riders to be in compliance with riding laws. At the time, a really cheap version of a skull-cap was made by Bell Helmets. Soon into production, a competitor (helmet) company came out with a bumper sticker that read ... "If you have a ten dollar head ... buy a ten dollar helmet." Those words ring true for the towing and recovery industry. I've thankfully have never been clocked in the head working a recovery scene, but when that happens, yer' bound to say bad words.

image.png.99240dc66a1cc8c418518cd50e57c0e4.png

Edited by rreschran
  • Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Ron....I take your point that not all hard hats are inexpensive......the price variance is quite significant .....from cheap visitor issue construction hats......right the way through to  all the "bells and whistles"  high tech  rescue  hats with every conceivable attachment .....

But  Randall is also right ....if you weigh up the cost of an on site head  injury of an ill equipped operative    potential ..insurance claims..down time...staff sickness ....potential visits from the govt health and safety executive...or worse  !!

High quality  hard hats are inexpensive...

I have enclosed photos of the hard hat that I wear when I am involved in rescue and recovery operations ....  it is a bomber helmet shaped helmet ... fitted with an enclosed drop down visor ....adjustable chinstrap....and  clips either side to attach flashlights....

The second photo Ron posted is one of our jobs   and Elliot is wearing a company issue basin type helmet ...fitted with an external visor and chinstrap...it also has attachments for work lights ...

Sometimes I do wear a construction style helmet  when  I am not involved in any actual Recovery situation  and I am comfortable the risk is low ...

KY Nick ...I really like the external led lighting around the rim of your hat...I haven't seen that in the UK  yet ...I also agree that enforcement should also be wearing  hard hats when working immediately in the Recovery zone ....however ...sadly I cant see that happening   until there is a serious incident  or the regulations change 

20201007_184759.thumb.jpg.4336dd4666c856241d044d5df30007fb.jpg

20201007_184727.thumb.jpg.3748edb11b1b03103c029eec069f9c9b.jpg

20201007_185230.thumb.jpg.8a7e5873e3195291da8b6f0598e27d85.jpg

20201007_185213.thumb.jpg.c05394e71c6f52ed143a14c0ebbf5639.jpg

20201007_184719.thumb.jpg.79657d4d569f9f880cc1f63e5820db1b.jpg

There are a lot of cheap imitations  on the market  and probably without any quality assurance markings ....

We only use equipment that has  a  C E  and EN  marking.....(see below )  this denotes it is manufactured and meets  Statutory  European  standards ...

20201007_185118.thumb.jpg.8fef54c8b9e4a160a522b4588a6a7071.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

20161111_130532.thumb.jpg.65ec87548316b90b90dfcb2d0a6ba88f.jpg

I keep one in my truck and I usually have a spare one that I grab when I take a flatbed. I should wear it more often but I tend to forget it in the cab and start doing the job. You'd think I'd be better at wearing it considering my fire department background, but I just don't think about it until it's too late, usually right after I crack my head. I think that'll be my resolution for the new year actually.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

A hard hat should be worn whenever working a rollover incident, or incident where a "struck by" injury to the head may occur. "Struck by" I'd one of what OSHA calls "the fatal 4".

Wearing a hard hat, eye protection, as well as hearing protection presents a professional image. Also, hard hats have an expectation date. They should be replaced every 2 years

Realistically, you look like you have your ducks in a row when you have a safety vest, eve protection, and a hard hat. You set up the perception that you are a professional, and instill confidence. I currently work for a dealership network transporting vehicles from various dealerships to their internal auction. I see people staged on the shoulder of the highway loading and unloading vehicles on almost a daily basis. They are an accident waiting to happen. Yesterday I was instructed to do the same by a member of a "leadership" team. I informed him that I do not unload on the shoulder of any road. He pointed to another operator who was unloading on the frontage road of IH 35, with traffic speeding by at 50mph. We had a very heated, ugly discussion. 

I feel that anytime you are completing a lift, or are underneath anything that has a potential to fall, you should have a hardhat. That being stated eye protection should be standard when you step out of the truck.

OSHA classifies struck by as one of the "fatal four" causes of fatalities. 

Saw this video from the Hawaii FSP of operators wearing helmets.  Looks like a good style. small enough to wear while driving, not to bulky, can still hear conversation.  Researched it more and found out it is a Skateboarding helmet.    Not sure it is rated to help in a 60MPH impact but aside from a motorcycle helmet I am sure not much else is either.

Steve W.

Los Angeles, CA

FSP Operator

SkateBoarding Helmets are tough and the prices vary depending on the manufacturer and the rating. Any Quality Industrial style helmet is going to be priced out of a tow operators budget even though they may prevent a serious head injury. I have review them for several years and have yet taken the leap to try one.

I will say along the lines of skateboarding I found years ago the Snow Boarding pants were far better than the Winter Work Wear. I've had a pair of Burtons for nearly a Decade and they still look new except for the cuff part that tends to drag the ground.