Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Spring Slippers

Hi Guys,

Started playing around with the spring slippers I got with the wrecker.  I am attaching a couple of pictures, I had not installed the cross pins yet, is this the right position?  How would you chain this hook up?  I am thinking from the axle back to the crossbar.

Thanks for the input

spring slippers 1 .jpg

spring slippers 2 .jpg

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

2 hours ago, Stuart Wagner said:

Looks good to me, you have them positioned correctly. I would just run a chain or a strap over leaf springs and underneath the underlift.

Agreed, I run my tie down chain in between above the spring between the fork & spring eye to take up the gap then under the crossbar & to a chain binder. Get the pin in the lowest hole to make it as slop less as possible.

Edited by Orcas Tow

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

Thanks for the input guys.  I watched a couple of you tube videos where the guys used these spring slippers, (with the pins in) and only added safety chains.  I think the chain around the spring, down to the cross bar, with a binder to take up the slack would make me feel much better.  In addition to the safety chains

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a great friend will ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 8:20 PM, Stubborn66 said:

I watched a couple of you tube videos where the guys used these spring slippers, (with the pins in) and only added safety chains. 

Yea...Don't do that. I have an insurance claim that did $56,000 worth of damage to a truck from an employee doing that..... It was probably his YouTube video...LoL

• Sad 1

Chaining/strapping her down onto the spring hangers is a MUST. Same as any frame or axle fork. I cant see how anybody would want just those flimsy pins holding down all that weight from bouncing around. Yes, gravity does most of the work but one good pot hole or off camber entrance and away she goes.Those pins will keep the hangers on the spring for sure, As they pull out of the crossbar they will hang from the leaf springs and the casualty free wheels away.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

9 hours ago, Stubborn66 said:

Just used them for the first time, all went well but I cant imagine not binding it down.  First one and got a  PITA of a drive line to drop, one stripped bolt makes a difference!!!!

I know ALL to well how that goes. I have found that taking the time to give those yoke bolts a real good cleaning with some brake cleaner and a wire brush helps. Getting all the crud off the bolt heads and using a good quality tight fitting socket makes a world of difference.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE