Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Vehicles stranded after Keegans Bayou overflows

TowNews

Lots of flooding around Houston area from the tropical storm "Beta" -

I unfortunately was out in that mess doing reserved call PPI's (no patrol work) and caught one in a covered spot with the e-brake pulled to the roof so I dollied it out of the spot.  Hit the road near Brays bayou and saw the water over the curb at one point so I turned back.  Discovered that even in a couple inches of water, dollies will float..

Anyway, I was surprised at the number of trucks I saw out there getting submarine lessons while hauling other stranded vehicles out.  I feel bad for the owners of those trucks.  I kept mine (company truck; I don't own it) out of any water more than a couple inches.

Dropping the first soggy customer off at the impound lot...

Richard

TimePhoto_20200921_234232.jpg

• Like 1

Aside from whatever tow bill is charged to the vehicle's owner, the city should issue an additional violation, especially when a roadway has blockade & signage. Perhaps a $500, "You shouldn't have gone around the barricade", is a way to send a lesson to drivers who should know better. I also don't like to see rescuer's with boats and kyaks offering a dry ride to shore. They should get out of their cars and walk though knee-deep or ankle-deep water. I'm sorry, but outward stupidity shouldn't be treated with belevolence when their ignorant actions put first responders and tower's in harm's way.        R.

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch

Glad to hear all went well for you someotherplace. Talking on here with you over the years, You seem to be a switched on, common sense kinda guy so I figured you wouldnt end up with any real issue working in that stuff. I am sure a good many of your competitors are gonna end up with some tore up, water logged rigs. Too many guys have that "not mine" mentality when driving company owned rigs. 

I couldnt agree more with you Mr. Resch. There needs to be a "Stupidity fee" for some of the idiots out there. Sadly though the irony here is they are stupid enough to drive around a baracade or into deep water but, when you go and make them walk themselves out of it and they fall into a manhole or something, all of a sudden they are smart enough to sue the bejesus out of all involved. 

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Thanks; I'm probably not nearly as smart as I think, but maybe knowing that is half the battle. ; )

I expected some flooding in that area as it's pretty common (it's Houston; we flood), but ongoing construction seemed to make it worse.  The boss actually called me an hour prior and suggested if things just got too nasty that night to turn around and go home.  We had several calls come in and I was determined to catch them if I could envision a safe route to/from the property and storage lots.

As it was, I decided around 2AM to head home and literally just as I was pulling in the driveway, a call came in for someone that has a habitual violator in their paid space and so far none of the other drivers have managed to load for him.  I said hell with it and hit the road and got it done.  Not a very productive night overall, but the calls got covered, and I didn't even get my socks wet.

Too many drivers out there with that "not my truck" attitude.  They don't seem to make the simple connection that the truck is how they (and their boss!) are earning a living and that one should take care of it.

Richard

Good comments guys. My policy and procedure says no trucks in standing or swift moving water. And, that goes for police calls too until the water receeds. It may mean the loss of $150 job, but doesn't result in thousands of potential dollars in truck or equipment damages, AND, in the best interest of an operator's safety.     R.  

Edited by rreschran
  • Like 2

Randall C. Resch