Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow truck driver injured in hit-and-run on I-94 (MI)

TowNews

Anyone with information is urged to call the Detroit Police Department

DETROIT – A tow truck driver is recovering after being badly injured in a hit-and-run incident while doing his job on I-94.

It’s a call Lavish Towing company owner Lavish Williams never expected.

“I got a strange voice over the 2-way radio from a lady who was hysterical,” Williams said. “She was pretty much saying, ‘Your driver just got hit on the freeway.’”

It all happened on I-94 near Woodward Avenue on Tuesday night as the driver was attempting to tow a vehicle. His partner, Juhnn’e Bailey saw it all.

“I heard the crash and when I turned around, his legs were in the air,” recalled Juhnn’e Bailey.

Sadly, the driver took off and no one immediately stopped to help.

“They didn’t even slow down. They kept going and at least eight or nine cars were behind it. That’s why I never saw the car that came,” added Bailey.

David Salomon now has a few bad injuries, including having to get several staples in his head and a broken foot.

“I don’t think I’m supposed to be here. I was up about at least 8 feet in the sky. Came back down and I don’t remember nothing else after that,” said Salomon.

And his boss is pleading with drivers to move over when seeing tow truck drivers flung their jobs.

“When you see these lights on, people really need to take head and move over. It’s a reason why we have these lights on. We gotta dangerous job that’s not really spoke on too much. They don’t realize the dangers that is tow operators actually go through,” Williams concluded.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Detroit Police Department at 313-596-5200.

RESOURCE LINK

Tow truck driver somehow survives freeway hit and run in Detroit

Detoirt090820A.jpg.8b60765cd5158f97ef0c0c3a4b6e8054.jpg

A sweet reunion outside a Detroit Towing Company as truck driver David Salomon still can't believe he survived...

DETROIT (FOX 2) - There was a sweet reunion outside a Detroit Towing Company as truck driver David Salomon still can't believe he survived. 

"You can see the staples in the top of my head," he said.

With his girlfriend by his side, Salomon trying to remember the moment he was hit, not even 24 hours earlier.

"I saw my legs up in the air when he smacked me," Salomon said.

Salomon, with his truck lights on, says when he began bringing the disabled car onto the flatbed, a car slammed into him.

"I looked to the side and another vehicle just came and hit me and knocked me up into the air," he said.

Hearing the loud crash, Bailey jumped out of the passenger seat.

"I kept screaming for him, but I couldn't find him," she said.

Bailey then found her boyfriend bleeding from his head and foot. The person who hit him was long gone.

"How can you hit somebody, no you hit somebody and keep going," she said. "A piece of your bumper is still on the freeway."

Bailey says that about 30 cars continued to drive by without slowing down or moving over. and Salomon almost got hit a second time.

"I'm like literally dragging this man trying to get him off the road and nobody stopped," she said. "(This) ain't no city I want to live in."

Bailey pulled him to safety but was unsure where they were. She alerted his boss over the truck radio.

"(They asked) 'Is he ok?' I'm like, 'No,'" she said.

Salomon's boss rushed to the scene along with an ambulance and Michigan State Police.

"If he would've been behind the truck, he wouldn't have been here to speak. He would've been pinned," said Lavish T. Williams, owner of the tow company.

Salomon treated at the hospital for a fractured foot and injuries to his head and lower back.

"I'm still trying to figure out how I survived it, because that was a hit," Salomon said.

Salomon hopes this will remind people to slow down and move over when you see vehicles with flashing lights on the side of the road.

State police are working to get a description of that car. and everyone is hoping witnesses, and that driver, to come forward..

"The driver that hit me. I hope he finds his conscience and acknowledges what you did," Salomon said.

"This should be weighing very heavily on your mind," Williams said. "You could've killed this guy." 

RESOURCE LINK with video

Why does it seem there is an increasing number of drivers being struck by hit & run drivers. I would suppose it is related to the increased number of DUI's we are towing more overdoses as of late then drunken drivers. Speedy Recovery to this lucky driver, I say lucky as in he will survive to tow another day following a recovery period.

• Like 1

In December, 2016, NY tow operator, Sal Brescia, was struck and killed by a hit and run motorist. From evidence collection left at that scene. only three small fragments of plastic were collected by evidence techs. But, from those three small pieces of plastic, detectives did a reverse investigation and ultimately back-tracked to a suspect.  I followed this case really carefully and wanted to share the outcome of what good investigative work means. There's real value in the careful and thorough collection of forensic evidence that suggests, any crash you work can have solid evidence as part of the crash scene. The Brescia case is an example of good police work. The suspect, Anthony Mangano (51) of Queens, was arrested and since charged with Brescia's death.

Here's the link:   https://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2017/05/04/i-95-tow-driver-death-arrest/101287164/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Randall C. Resch