Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Dolly Days

20200617_104103.thumb.jpg.ee101c11ea29d04aa262b19248abcdcb.jpg

Lost keys in a tight driveway

20200818_102319.thumb.jpg.b8d6d96156fc07874a6ac91bf5c63215.jpg

Electric parking brake stuck on, wouldn't release even with the car running.

20200820_100351.thumb.jpg.de5e35ba4d33066dcf75f8277e3d00c7.jpg

Towed to the dealer because the check engine light came on, still ran and drove. I was right around the corner and didn't feel like switching trucks.

20200812_125138.thumb.jpg.ff32e8237e6e73687f9f733f448d0218.jpg

Steering rack failure, would only turn right but the bypass valve wouldn't let it come back left.

20200604_132732.thumb.jpg.c9689992861a19ea6e150c0624e2d723.jpg

Came in as a Toyota Camry, found a lowered Saab.

20200828_085943.thumb.jpg.f850997f66c9557572880ef8dc5da2c6.jpg

No power even with a jump box on it and no release, the rollback we sent out didn't want to tear up the rocks.

20200606_154755.thumb.jpg.91d009039d074d72dba9d9c65c1ae9ac.jpg

Ppi, parked at a local quarry to go swimming and ended up going for a long walk after.

20200512_160526.thumb.jpg.7406176f7cfbd506eff1df265725c5ae.jpg

Rental, guys brother stole the keys so I towed it 45 miles to the Philly airport. 

20200522_213355.thumb.jpg.2651180d1f3055002f2a5a3341e15315.jpg

I guess not a dolly job, but this bike got a van head on at 70mph.

• Like 3

Dave, Looking Good! As much as you use dollies have you thought about adding grease caps? It's the best thing I ever did, no more having to repack them. The only things to be re-mindful of with grease caps is to keep grease in them and be mindful of how much grease is being put in them. Also, there are numerous manufacturers out now and last week I got a new set of dollies with shorter caps. I think I like them better. I know the caps that seal inside the brim do not come of as easy when using them and are cheaper to replace.

6 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

Nice work as always Sir. The bike is an ugly one.

I thought it was just me but, You have had a few "lost key" rentals also? I have had 4 of them in the past 3 weeks.. Why are people losing their rental car keys all of a sudden??

The one here the renter got into a fight and he took the keys and wouldn't give them back to him. It was certainly a weird situation. I did 2 more that same week that they lost the keys on, both rented by nursing staff services to shuttle nurses around to different care facilities that needed more staff at the height of the pandemic. I'm guessing having multiple people share a car while being overworked contributed to the lost keys.

39 minutes ago, TowZone said:

Dave, Looking Good! As much as you use dollies have you thought about adding grease caps? It's the best thing I ever did, no more having to repack them. The only things to be re-mindful of with grease caps is to keep grease in them and be mindful of how much grease is being put in them. Also, there are numerous manufacturers out now and last week I got a new set of dollies with shorter caps. I think I like them better. I know the caps that seal inside the brim do not come of as easy when using them and are cheaper to replace.

I had them on my last set and I took them off after a couple months. I never had a problem with water getting in the bearings until I put the grease buddies on, then once a month I was having to repack the bearings because they were getting water in them. I'm not sure if I got a bad set or what, but after a few times of pulling them all apart I gave up and they are always dry when I pull them apart.

Dave, I have heard the with some brands. We got some off brand from Home Depot that had issues. But, overall with a good set they are better than not having them. Or at least if you don't repack the bearing routinely. Since we don't have a garage I can do that in and must request it to be done. The covers with grease zerks work well.

3 hours ago, rreschran said:

Hey Grumps ... could the lost key debacle be that rental companies oftentimes put ALL of the keys to the same car and fob on the same swaged loop with no way of seperating them? I hate when they do that.      R.

That could be a part of the problem sure. maybe it is something that has always been an issue but back in the day it was easy enough to have a new key cut off the vin#. All the fancy electronics and gizmos of todays vehicles make that a non starter now... 

Oh here I go again showing my age... Mechanical Keys and vin #'s.... LMAO

Edited by GRUMPS The Towman

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE