Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Dietz 211

KY Nick

Found Dad's old 211s.  He bought these 2 2 ligjts in 1974 for our 30 ton Weld-Built.  Got them back inside and did total refurb and ready to install on my 66 Ford.  

Coming soon are the 6v and 12v Federal model 17's, used back in the 50's

20200901_141103.jpg

20200901_181659.jpg

• Like 4

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

Were those the ones that one side was clear and the other amber. There were a few back in the Sixties that ran them like that around here. I remember seeing them back in the Seventies. A the Mickey Mouse Look began to fade away there were fewer in the Eighties. They were great out in the rural areas, not so much in town as it's hard to determine where the light is coming from in town compared to strobes. On the Expressway they can be dangerous unless combined with other lights. Bugs & Drunks Loved them, so why were there not more tow truck struck. Oh, there likely was but we never heard about it. Most companies kept it to themselves back in the day, much like they were wrecker drivers killed which took years to find when the Wall of the Fallen was created.

We mix matched amber and clear domes so we knew our trucks from the competition.  If it had only 1 beacon generally a clear dome.  

From the 50's to early 70's we ran red only, I assume law change and we switched over to clear and amber.  Wish we could go back to it personally.

If you look at the progression of lights through pictures of the decades, bars didn't become standard until the 80's.  

I really would like to believe there were less operators struck back them too.  Even though stats weren't kept, there was still enough communication through associations back then to know what was going on around the respective states.  

Maybe I need to put one of these old time lights on my new truck and see the reaction compared to all the fancy whelan M6's....  problem is the roof of the new trucks won't hold the heavy thing. 

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 2 weeks later...

I have restored a Federal Model 17.  Found this out on an old International fire apparatus.  Purchased it along with a Federal siren and red light.  Beacon was like new inside 6V works like a dream.  Have 2 more in the refurb process.

20200908_164218.jpg

20200818_115230.jpg

• Like 1

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Nick ... thanks for sharing the pics. Outstanding restoration job. These lights are getting more and more rare obviously driving the costs of purchase on Ebay.

From my research, stats on tow operator fatalities weren't kept back in the old days as any tow operator fatality was simply recorded as a pedestrian accident. Not until the onset of TIM did accident reports begin tracking operator fatalities. 

Randall C. Resch

• 2 years later...
On ٢‏/٩‏/٢٠٢٠ at 17:20, KY Nick said:

العثور على 211s القديمة لأبي. لقد اشترى هذين ligjts في عام 1974 مقابل 30 طنًا من Weld-Built. أعادتهم إلى الداخل وقاموا بالتجديد الكامل وجاهز للتثبيت على سيارتي 66 فورد.  

قريبًا ، طرازات 17 ذات 6 فولت و 12 فولت ، تم استخدامها مرة أخرى في الخمسينيات

20200901_141103.jpg

20200901_181659.jpg

It's beautiful and cool. Do you sell it?