Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Good Samaritan Falls to his death trying to help wrecker clear debris (IN)

Man falls to his death while trying to help after I-65 crash south of Lafayette

FRANKFORT, Ind. — An out-of-state good Samaritan trying to help a wrecker early Tuesday died when he fell backwards over a bridge from Interstate 65 and onto the Manson Colfax Road in Clinton County, according to Clinton County Sheriff's Office.

The sheriff's office had not released the man's identity, as of Tuesday afternoon, pending notification of his next of kin.

The man was helping to clear wreckage from the bridge, which is about four miles south of the Indiana 28/Frankfort exit and about 15 miles south of Lafayette. 

The interstate was closed after a semi crashed and caught fire about 11 p.m. Monday, according to the sheriff's office.

The northbound semi hauling avocados was engulfed in fire after the crash, Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley said. 

The semi driver was not injured and state police were investigating why the truck caught fire, Riley said.

The fire closed all four lanes of the interstate while firefighters extinguished the blaze, Riley said. Then one southbound lane was re-opened.

Both southbound lanes were re-opened after firefighters cleared the scene, Riley said.

About 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, the good Samaritan helped the wrecker who was trying to clear the interstate's northbound lanes, according to the Clinton County Sheriff's Office.

The barrier railings on the bridge are about two feet tall, and the man fell while walking backwards and wasn't aware of how close he was to the railing, according to the Clinton County Sheriff's Office.

The bridge is 27-feet, 7-inches above the Manson Colfax Road, according to the Clinton County Sheriff's Office.

RESOURCE LINK

A terrible tragedy. I send thoughts and prayers to all involved...

This brings up a Good point about allowing customers and/or by-standers to "help out" while Operators perform their duties. It is NOT a good idea.. I like most others get asked all the time " Do you want me to steer it or put it in neutral?" My response is always "No thank you" and I always try to add a little joke or quip like "Lets let the truck do all the work" or "Please just sit back and enjoy the show". Sure there are times where a bit of help would speed things up or save me a trip back and forth to the controls, But I need the exercise anyway. I have always felt that laziness and complacency is the #1 killer of skilled and trained tow operators. 

Keep in mind, ( at least around here) Once the Operator is cleared by P.D. to begin working the scene, It is now YOUR scene and YOUR responsibility. It is Imperative that operators keep all persons out of the work zone. God forbid something was to go wrong, Who do you think will get handed a suppeona first?

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

5 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

A terrible tragedy. I send thoughts and prayers to all involved...

This brings up a Good point about allowing customers and/or by-standers to "help out" while Operators perform their duties. It is NOT a good idea.. I like most others get asked all the time " Do you want me to steer it or put it in neutral?" My response is always "No thank you" and I always try to add a little joke or quip like "Lets let the truck do all the work" or "Please just sit back and enjoy the show". Sure there are times where a bit of help would speed things up or save me a trip back and forth to the controls, But I need the exercise anyway. I have always felt that laziness and complacency is the #1 killer of skilled and trained tow operators. 

Keep in mind, ( at least around here) Once the Operator is cleared by P.D. to begin working the scene, It is now YOUR scene and YOUR responsibility. It is Imperative that operators keep all persons out of the work zone. God forbid something was to go wrong, Who do you think will get handed a suppeona first?

You said it all.. 

It's rare that during PPI's I have anybody offering to help but every now and then I get one.  Usually it's the case of someone calling in a reserved space violation and they're out there to show me their paperwork for the space.  They offer to help push the car out on the gojaks, stuff like that.  I politely decline their help.  Rarely, but it has happened, I've had those that just wouldn't listen and attempted to help regardless.  I've gotten a little snippy with them as fact is, the more time I spend out there debating with them wanting to be helpful, I could get caught performing the PPI.  It's even more of a liability for the other person at that point since they called in the tow.

Richard

• Like 1

I certainly wouldnt want anyones help during a ppi for sure. Just them trying to "help" push a vehicle out in the wrong place and the next thing you know there is a dent or a "stretch" as my body man son calls it in the panel where they were pushing. I too would be a bit snippy In that type of situation. Forget the fact that the guy slips and falls or wrenches his back... Too many variables that we as the operator are responsible for.. Thanks but, Keep your hands to yourself.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 4 weeks later...

As it relates to tow operators, I'm always fearful to see heavy operators and their on-scene helpers clamber atop some semi-trailer or SeaCan to attach corner links or whatever rigging, only to walk backwards towards the edges. To that point, the same is true for every tow show that has a live-demonstration that shows container lifts ... all the while ... tow personnel aren't wearing fall protection.       R. 

Randall C. Resch