Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Tow Operator Killed - Las Vegas

rreschran

Yesterday afternoon, a flatbed carrier ran full-speed into the rear of a slow moving Army dump truck on I-15. The driver was killed instantly. The carrier was one of those Carvana carriers you see in Carvana commercials on TV. Carvana is based out of Tempe, Arizona. There's no explaination for the crash. Christine and I send our prayers to the tow operator's family and the Carvana  company.     R.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/nhp-tow-truck-driver-dies-after-crash-with-national-guard-vehicle-on-i-15-near/article_3ee13988-db60-11ea-b20b-13c1217ca48e.html

Carvana Fatal near Vegas 8-2020.jpg

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

I did a lot of work on those types of military trucks way back in the day. Every component on them is massive, overbuilt and heavy. Even the tail light guards were made out of 3/4" steel round stock and plate. I would guess there is minimal damage to that beast. They are built to survive explosions. That little Isuzu didnt stand a chance.

I was going to comment on how it looks like the loaded vehicle remained secured, but after a closer look, there is moderate damage to the nose of it. It appears that they may have moved the vehicle back to extricate the victim.

It is certainly a tragic event.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

This News Story should reflect Auto Transport Driver. While any loss of life is tragic industry, these types of transport carriers are more in line with the Auto Transporters Industry.

NHP: Tow truck driver dies after crash with National Guard vehicle on I-15 near valley

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Nevada Highway Patrol said they were on scene of a fatal crash northeast of the Las Vegas Valley on Monday.

The agency responded to the crash about 3 p.m. on August 10. The crash happened on I-15 southbound near mile marker 64, near the U.S. 93 split northeast of the valley.

The crash involved two large trucks, NHP said. Trooper Travis Smaka said a white Isuzu tow truck carrying a silver SUV was speeding southbound on I-15 approaching a large tan Army National Guard vehicle. 

"For reasons unknown, the Isuzu failed to decrease its speed and struck the rear of the slower moving tan vehicle," Smaka said. The driver of the tow truck died on scene. 

Travel on I-15 southbound is down to one lane and traffic is moving slowly. NHP advised drivers to avoid the area.

The Clark County Coroner will identify the deceased driver after next of kin has been notified.

RESOURCE LINK

NV081020.thumb.jpg.c5de938913d50805fcd46457c3d216fa.jpg

I was riding in an RG33 when a soldier attempted and failed to safely pass and plowed into the rear if the MRAP. The rent car he was driving was totalled and only some bumper dust on the MRAP was bothered. As far as towing v. transport, I believe the issues involving this crash, whatever they may be, are similar if not the same (and recordable) in the same way the death of a tire technician or repo agent is tallied as an industry fatality. I listed this crash as an industry death on my archives.  Each one is equally important to remember and equally sad for the loss.   R

Edited by rreschran
Spelling

Randall C. Resch