Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Man on scooter dead after a tow truck driver hit him in southwest Houston (TX)

TowNews

A man on a scooter was killed after being hit by a tow truck driver on Sunday morning in southwest Houston, according to police.

Police said they are looking for the driver accused of hitting the man on Westheimer and Chimney Rock without stopping.

The man was on a scooter heading westbound on a crosswalk when the driver of an unknown dark colored vehicle going eastbound almost hit him. That's when the man jumped off the scooter and the driver of a white tow truck hit him.

Police said the driver of the tow truck could face a felony failure to stop and render aid charge.

The man was dead when police arrived.

Police interviewed witnesses and are looking for more people who saw the incidents.

RESOURCE LINK with video

NOTE: When reviewing the video the Tow Truck was the second vehicle to allegedly hit the victim. No description of either vehicle was given other than it was a White Tow Truck. 

• Sad 1

That's a very busy area at pretty much any time day or night; the article would be more helpful if it included more info than just "Sunday morning" - a specific time might help any potential witnesses.  If it was mentioned in the audio I didn't catch it as I'm not able to view w/sound on at the moment.

Richard

I hate these news reports byover-reactive reporters who immediately assume the tow truck is guilty in this crash. Because this is a controlled by signal intersection, could it be possible that the scooter rider failed to stop at a red signal and blasted into the intersection (like bicyclists, skateboarders and scooter riders tend to do? This happened in New Jersey last year when a tow truck struck a 16-year-old on an electric scooter. Crosswalk of not, a scooter doesn't have right-of-way nor is it adorned with reflectors and lighting. While it's unfortunate that maybe a tow truck or wrecker was involved, the first striking vehicle may have knocked the victim into the wrecker's path? Who knows. I have hope that some tower may hear about these news accounts and contact the authorities because there's always more to these stories than what these reporters put out. I know, I know, cry hit and run all day long, perhaps the tow truck operator is not the guilty party when its driver doesn't know he struck someone who was knocked into his path? Perhaps this video is a good reason I can't stand the media?      R.

Watch this video for a simple lesson in tow trucks and scooters.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/e-scooter-rider-dies-in-collision-with-tow-truck-in-new-jersey/2205728/

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch