Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: What's Your Emergency Evacuation Plan ? ? ?

Three weeks ago, my vacation house in Mexico was destroyed by arson. Now, this is the third day of Southern California's, "Apple Fire", situated 15-miles to the north of our home. It's alleged that this too was an arson fire that's grown to 15,000 acres and zero containment .... big enough to make the national news. I watched it through the night and we're keeping a careful eye on any changes. At the moment, we're OK. Yesterday's heat was 106 and the winds will kick-up again by mid-day reportedly pushing smoke all the way to Arizona. We have our fire evacuation plan ready-to-roll if it ever comes to that. In that I'll ask, what's your own emergency evacuation plan? No matter where you live, we all have some kind of nemesis we have to deal with when Mother Nature comes to call or a psycho with a penchant for violence is on-the-loose. In the mean-time, say your prayers for those tow companies in Banning, Beaumont, Cherry Valley and inside Riverside County.     R.  

https://abc7.com/apple-fire-riverside-county-cherry-valley-brush/6348543/

Randall C. Resch

I am very sorry to hear you have lost your families vacation home. You made no mention of anyone getting hurt or worse so that is the best case scenario. The home can be replaced, A life cant. I pray that the fires near your home can be contained soon. I know you guys over there deal with this pretty regularly it seems lately. It doesnt make it any easier.

As far as an evacuation plan, I wouldnt go as far to say that I am a "prepper' but I feel my family and I are as prepared as we can be. We keep the small camper trailer packed with supplies and non-perishables so if it came to it we could just snap into it with any one of our vehicles and be off. We keep a fair amount of cash at the ready as well as 2 credit cards we only keep for emergency use only. All important documents are in a fire resistant safe that can be grabbed out of the big safe and taken with us. Each family member including our dog has a "bug out" bag at the ready as well. As far as protection, Both my wife and I have concealed carry permits, ( No, I do not carry while working. Never have ) and both our boys are fire arms trained and we all shoot regularly. Being former military And growing up in a military family, it just got ingrained in me to always be ready for anything. Although I love my home, My business etc. If it came down to it I would dump it all in a heartbeat to protect my family from some form of natural disaster that we wouldnt be able to defend our home against. Now, on the other hand, Rioters, looters,  or what have you,  better be prepared for one HELL of a fight if they want my home or property. thats a different story.. 

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I have no understand of the terrain in these regions, but I still cannot help to think that bringing back Clear Cutting would reduce the number of acres being burned and make it easier to contain these wild fires.

So sorry to hear of the loss of a vacation home. Hope it wasn't burned to cover up a crime. Some bad hombres south of the border. In fact their everywhere. But this stuff of arsonists intentional causing these wildfires is insane. When caught they should be dropped off in the middle of the fire. Let the flames they cause have them.

Thanks for the sentiments guys. The Mexico house was torched because another resident wanted revenge for being kicked out of camp next door.  Four houses were destroyed.            Ron, much of Southern California is partial desert unlike treed areas up north. Here, winter rain causes scrub and weeds to grow, then summer bakes them into dry, crisp kindle that grows close to the ground. Every year it rains, grows, vegetation dies and it continues that way year after year. There are millions of SoCal acres where there's no cutting or clearing. Once a spark, bolt of lightening, car muffler, or arsonist apply ignition, extreme heat and high wind push fire out of control. Unfortunately, us humans are in its path. From where I sit ... the Apple Fire still burns out of control. It's a bit tense but for now we're not threatened.   R

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

Thanks Ron ... Cal Fire estimates full containment by August 17th. There was good flare-up today with area wind, but the temperatures are lower the past two-days. Thankfully this fire is running parallel still 15-miles out.   R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch