Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Do You Request Highway Patrol Assistance ? ? ?

Regarding the tower critically injured today from, Baltimore's, Blake's Towing, that on-highway response was in the center divider adjacent to a high-speed carpool lane. This is a common scenario that's extra dangerous to work. And, knowing the dangers that exist in today's world of distracted driving, at what point do you, or should you, call the highway patrol for on-scene assistance? I realize that towers don't want to bother the highway patrol nor do they don't want to wait for their arrival, but should towers use the assets they have as a manner to increase on-scene presence? I'm a firm believer that any vehicle that's situated in live-lanes, center dividers, even gore points, NEED and SHOULD HAVE the assistance of the highway patrol. Thoughts? Comments?     R. 

Randall C. Resch

• 2 weeks later...

In many cases it comes down to available manpower. TIMS training has really helped here in Montana. Our Highway Patrol troopers are doing a great job of watching our back on crash scenes, but it is not always possible for them to stick around because they are spread pretty thin here. Montana law prevents us from picking up a wrecked vehicle until the crash has been investigated by MHP. The upside of this is that there is almost always a trooper on scene when we arrive.

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.

My rule of thumb has always been If I can safely and fully get my rig inside the white line ( left or right side ) and my casualty vehicle is not in a live lane in any way, Then I will quick load, get off the highway and not request any P.D. assistance. There have been times in the past where I have tried calling for assistance only to be told it would be an hour plus before they could supply a unit. One time they flat out have told me they have no units available to "babysit" me. My response was " Oh, But You will have plenty of units available to "babysit" the wreck when I get slammed into and killed by a semi.". That went over like a fart in church with the P.D. dispatch supervisor..

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

We encourage our drivers to advise when they need assistance with traffic. Often they are able to complete the tow without them if they are going to take longer than it is safe to stay there. We call back and cancel the officer and they thank us. It's not like crying wolf, it's an added safety procedure. Better safe then sorry, we have even left an unattended vehicle until an officer was available. WE then return to the scene, our worst are those that leave their vehicle in a dangerous location because they are scared and take the keys. We charge extra when they do that, or request they return. Motor Clubs are getting really bad for that stuff. We refuse to tow vehicles on a motor club call without the vehicle owner present. Anyone Else did that?