Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 07.30.20 (CA)

rreschran

California Tow Operator & Motorist Killed

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but a friend called me yesterday morning telling me a California tow operator helping a stranded motorist were both killed yesterday. Both were struck by a semi along the 15 freeway after 5:00 AM morning the town of Baker providing a flat tire service. If you've ever driven to Vegas, Baker has the World's Tallest Termometer as its best landmark.  According to the CHP, the 43-year-old tow operator was providing a tire service when a Freightliner hauling a set of bottom dumps drifted onto the shoulder and collided into the tower and the motorist. The CHP did not indicate a cause of the crash and do not believe the semi's driver was impaired. I'm not making mention of the tower's name as notification of kin is in the works. The investigation is on-going. Christine and I send our prayers to the tow operator's family and the company he worked for.     R.

Link: https://www.vvng.com/tow-truck-driver-and-stranded-motorist-killed-in-crash-on-i-15-freeway-near-baker/

Randall C. Resch

Tow truck driver and stranded motorist killed in crash on I-15 freeway near Baker

073020.thumb.png.0720a46d623cb961ca0a16a03ff8bf73.png

BAKER, Calif. (VVNG.com) — A tow truck driver helping a stranded motorist were both killed in a traffic accident along the 15 freeway early Thursday morning near the town of Baker.

It happened at about 5:17 AM on July 30, 2020, on the southbound 1-15, south of Rasor Road.

According to a California Highway Patrol news release, a 23-year-old Apple Valley man was driving a 2013 Freightliner, hauling two bottom-dump trailers at speeds of 55 miles per hour. “For reasons still under investigation, the driver allowed the truck tractor-trailer combination to leave the #2 lane and travel onto the west shoulder of Interstate 15 southbound,” stated the CHP release.

At this time, a 43-year old male tow truck driver from Barstow, associated with a 2004 GMC tow truck, was providing assistance to a 39-year old male from Cleveland, Ohio, with a flat tire on a 2002 Chevrolet.

CHP said the GMC tow truck and the Chevrolet occupied by a female and two juveniles were both parked on the right-hand shoulder of the freeway.

“Due to the truck driver’s unsafe turning movement, the Freightliner collided with the GMC,” stated CHP officials. “Due to the Freightliner colliding with the GMC, the GMC collided into the 43-year old male and 39-year old male, causing them to suffer fatal injuries.”

The GMC continued in a southerly direction and collided with the Chevrolet. After the collision, the Freightliner came to rest in the dirt center divider partially blocking the #1 lane, the GMC and Chevrolet came to rest in the open desert terrain west of Interstate 15.

The 41-year old female and two juveniles from Granada Hills were transported by San Bernardino County Fire for precautionary reasons to Barstow Community Hospital.

The Apple Valley man was not injured as a result of the collision. CHP said alcohol and/or drugs are not suspected to be a contributing factor in this collision.

The identities of the 43-year old male and 39-year old male pronounced deceased at the scene will be released by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s-Coroner office pending notification of next of kin.

Anyone with information is asked to call the California Highway Patrol Barstow office at (760) 255-5900. 

RESOURCE LINK

My god... What a horrible wreck... My thoughts are with the families of the men who were MURDERED. Aside from some freak mechanical failure that may have caused this, I Pray that AGGRESSIVE charges are brought against this man If is determined his inattentiveness of some form caused this. An example must be made of this man. This MUST END. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

My heart hurts for the senseless deaths of these men. 

Why is moving over, slowing down or stopping such a hardship for motorists. Why does it have to be somthing like this to bring home the truth to some drivers. 

You have now taken the innocent lives of people for no more reason than a lack of consideration, attention, or empathy and a lack of respect for the law. Yes you had a choice you could have stopped even if there was another inconsiderate driver blocking you, you could have slowed down you could have paid attention way before you needed to get over. If there had been a person instructing you to stop with a sign would you have stopped? If there had been arrows instructing you to move over would you have. If you had seen a sign saying the speed limit was reduced would you have slowed it down? Why caint drivers understand flash ikk bg lights mean all this and more?

My heart goes out to the family's friends, coworkers and communities that now have the long process of healing ahead of them.

May god lay a blanket of his strength over them all.

• 1 month later...