Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

A Lesson Learned the Hard Way!

This is why Old School Professionals Do Not Drive Vehicles onto the roll back, carrier, flat-bed tow truck.

I was taught this decades ago. How many of you were taught this is wrong?

Classic car catches fire in Canton, Ohio

Damage to the 1947 model was minimal, fire inspector says.

CANTON City firefighters were called at 6:44 a.m. Tuesday to 19th Street NW where a classic car had caught fire.

Canton Fire Prevention Inspector Joseph Carafelli said the 1947 Mercury Deluxe Convertible was being driven onto flat-bed tow truck in the 1100 block of 19th Street NE. It was being taken to a shop for brake repairs when a leaking fuel line ignited the engine.

The towing driver immediately put out the fire to the car, which has only 73,000 original miles.

Carafelli said the vehicle is salvageable, although no monetary amount was placed on the estimated damage.

The fire was accidental, he said.

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20200728/classic-car-catches-fire-in-canton

I remember very vividly the scolding I got from my father the day he witnessed me driving a car on the deck. ( well, he actually caught me driving off but i had driven it on too ). I have NEVER driven another one on or free roll one off since. Roll backs/flatbeds have a winch on them for a reason. You just never know what condition the brake system is in, If the throttle sticks, Or god knows what else could be wrong with the vehicle your loading / unloading. There was an incident here in town, with a company that shall remain nameless, Last year I think it was that was off loading a 73 vette into a shop bay and the driver slacked off his winch, dropped the bridle off the car and jumped in it to free roll it off only to find it was going to the shop because it had NO BRAKE LINES IN IT at all. It was towed there to get all the plumbing done there after a full restoration. It rolled off the truck, through the uprights of the lift and planted itself firmly into a monsterous 4 bay Snap-on tool box against the back wall.  It was a total disaster. I only know of it because the shop owner called me to remove the now wrecked, yet fresh restored vette from his tool box and bring it back to the restoration shop it just left. For obvious reasons he didnt want company "A" to even be on his property anymore.

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I just responded in another post about our rule of not driving vehicles on or off the bed. Every Truck has a working winch use it...

This may be an accident, but it was an avoidable accident as there was no reason to start the vehicle with a mechanical problem.

In this particular instance I absolutely agree that the vehicle should not have been driven onto the carrier because the trouble complaint was brake problems. Now, per the new source it was a leaking fuel line that ignited -not something one would expect on a vehicle that was reported to have brake issues. That said, it could have been leaking brake fluid that ignited rather than fuel as news sources often get the little details incorrect.

Now, I will play devils advocate with this issue in general as I have driven thousands of vehicles on and off rollback decks as well as car haulers during the nearly thirty years I have been in this industry. Auto transport was always a large part of my business when I owned my company and as such it was very common to drive vehicles on and off the truck often not using the winch for days or even weeks.

As with everything else we do in this industry there is always a risk associated with the job. I never would advocate driving a vehicle onto a carrier deck that has not been inspected or driven thru the parking lot (at slow speeds obviously). I am not advocating for backing up to a car and then just driving it up onto the deck, especially one with known mechanical defects that could cause loss of braking or steering control, but rather your "transport" work for car rental companies, dealers and other such entities. 

Yes, there could be a slip and fall hazard so extra caution is warranted and being positive the parking brake will hold is paramount. Aluminum or smooth steel decks are problematic, diamond plate steel has almost as much traction as the pouched decking on car hauler trailers. Overall, when using the same precautions one would use loading a 7 or 9 car trailer, driving a vehicle onto the carrier deck can be accomplished with the same level of safety as winching.

Really, what is the difference driving onto the deck of these two transport vehicles?

20160921_145208.thumb.jpg.9b66ff3a3b325014678f14ab6e86ce3e.jpg39094434_JDCarriertiltedrearview.thumb.jpg.a99e9dd021cb026219a5dacbc5cfe59e.jpg20160325_115840.thumb.jpg.7556685bc142a3ade0e26661511902b2.jpgFB_IMG_1463797086178.jpg.89c3b73b0792516bf9232ca2df6b71b6.jpg

7 hours ago, brian991219 said:

In this particular instance I absolutely agree that the vehicle should not have been driven onto the carrier because the trouble complaint was brake problems. Now, per the new source it was a leaking fuel line that ignited -not something one would expect on a vehicle that was reported to have brake issues. That said, it could have been leaking brake fluid that ignited rather than fuel as news sources often get the little details incorrect.

Now, I will play devils advocate with this issue in general as I have driven thousands of vehicles on and off rollback decks as well as car haulers during the nearly thirty years I have been in this industry. Auto transport was always a large part of my business when I owned my company and as such it was very common to drive vehicles on and off the truck often not using the winch for days or even weeks.

As with everything else we do in this industry there is always a risk associated with the job. I never would advocate driving a vehicle onto a carrier deck that has not been inspected or driven thru the parking lot (at slow speeds obviously). I am not advocating for backing up to a car and then just driving it up onto the deck, especially one with known mechanical defects that could cause loss of braking or steering control, but rather your "transport" work for car rental companies, dealers and other such entities. 

Yes, there could be a slip and fall hazard so extra caution is warranted and being positive the parking brake will hold is paramount. Aluminum or smooth steel decks are problematic, diamond plate steel has almost as much traction as the pouched decking on car hauler trailers. Overall, when using the same precautions one would use loading a 7 or 9 car trailer, driving a vehicle onto the carrier deck can be accomplished with the same level of safety as winching.

Really, what is the difference driving onto the deck of these two transport vehicles?

20160921_145208.thumb.jpg.9b66ff3a3b325014678f14ab6e86ce3e.jpg39094434_JDCarriertiltedrearview.thumb.jpg.a99e9dd021cb026219a5dacbc5cfe59e.jpg20160325_115840.thumb.jpg.7556685bc142a3ade0e26661511902b2.jpgFB_IMG_1463797086178.jpg.89c3b73b0792516bf9232ca2df6b71b6.jpg

I would argue that a vehicle being loaded to transport it to another location is a different animal then a vehicle being loaded due to a mechanical breakdown. A vehicle being transported usually is in good working order, where as the breakdown vehicle is only being towed because of said breakdown. Aside from the vehicles problems, on a transport you usually have more time to go through the vehicle versus trying to load a breakdown on the side of the road. Other than those issues I agree with you though. 

I will add, though, that sometimes the winch is there more to hold the vehicle up then get it up. One night when I was working the fire department we were dispatched to an accident. The rotation company showed up, driver was wearing basketball shorts and flip flops and I knew we were in for a show lol. It had been raining just about all day and everything was soaked. The car ran, just had no bumper, so the "driver" decided to drive the car up the bed. After a few attempts to get enough traction, he made it up the bed and put the brake on. When he hoped out, the car beat him to the ground. The deck was so slippery the car slid right down, even in park with the brake on. After trying to drive it up 3 more times, he finally gave up and used the winch.

• Like 1

Even the few times I have done transport, I would still winch them on. Transport work, around here anyway there is all sorts of inspections and paperwork to do before touching the vehicle So transporters have more info on the vehicle. Most times, unless the disablement is obvious, I dont even ask what is wrong with the vehicle I am about to tow. I am not the guy fixing it so It is of no difference to me. Bottom line is, if I have a winch, I am using it. and btw, I have always had a hard time watching those stacker haulers load up. 

And dperone, I thought I lived in the only area that had "Tuh Truk " drivers show up in pajamas or shorts, no shirts and flip flops..Hell, a few times I have waited to see if he would ask someone to hold his beer while he loads.. See. there are bozo's everywhere in this industry.

I wrote on this topic in 2012’s Towman magazine. I believe driving versus winching separates safety from towers who are in a hurry; they’re lazy, or blind that they could be injured or killed as the result of a technique gone bad. Is drive-on drive-off considered an acceptable industry technique? I think the practice belongs to another industry, not necessarily to transport industry. But in the photos Brian includes, I'd venture to day those vehicles are relatively new. So, what about all that rolling junk that we towers work around? While experienced towers may have done so for 30-years, that doesn’t negate the fact that driving a vehicle onto a flatbed carrier’s deck is a risky technique every time. Note: A California tow operator was crippled when he was run-over getting out of a vehicle he drove up the deck after it stripped its parking pawl; another Washington when the Ebrake didn't hold. Here’s my argument against doing so that suggests:

• Neither the parking pawl or parking brakes are designed and guaranteed rated to hold a vehicle’s weight parked on a tilted deck
  • The winch and cable is designed and rated to better hold a vehicle’s weight and not employ a plastic or nylon parking pawl
  • A flatbed carrier’s deck has a 10- to 13-degree range more than that of a commercial carrier or trailer
  • There’s great potential of a sliding uncontrollable vehicle when its weight takes an unannounced backwards slide on an oily deck
  • Accelerating on a tilted deck could result in sideways slide
  • Carrier’s without rails can’t contain a runaway vehicle steered toward either edge
  • Commercial car carriers typically have extrude ramps for traction; flatbed carrier decks are generally smooth
  • When seated behind the driver’s wheel, the vehicle’s driver can’t see the nose making contact with the carrier’s deck, nor will they see tailpipes scrapping
  • Winch use avoids operator’s walking on a slippery deck

I believe that drive-on drive-off loading demonstrates a lack of reasonable and prudent judgment. When looking at this practice from a risk management standpoint, if an accidental injury or death were to occur during the drive-on off process, the court, Worker’s Comp, or OSHA may ask, “If it’s considered OK to drive-on and drive-off, why do carriers have a winch mounted atop its superstructure?” If a runaway vehicle has never happened to you before, what are the odds it won’t happen to you anytime soon? It’s too much to risk, even with 100-year’s experience. Accordingly, I train that it’s a dangerous practice and one to avoid. My company’s Employee Handbook says "No" to the practice. Can it be done, sure, but I believe the danger factor to be considerably greater. Winch-it on ... winch it off.      R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

The pictures Brian posted bring up a good point as to the difference between a transporter and a roll back. The runners on the transport trailer have those "holes" in them that are stamped outward giving each one little "teeth" for the tire to bite into for traction. A traditional roll back has minimal texture to it and rightfully so for less resistance for seized  wheels, skates etc.. There is a major difference in manufacturing between the two. Even the 4 car carrier has at least 2 winches on it. The easiest way I can see to determine the proper way to load a vehicle on a particular piece is the factor of having a winch or not.        ( NOTE ; obviously I am describing professionally built equipment and not someones home-made jalopy )

• Like 1

Anybody aware of any rollback manufacturers operating manual stating- winching is required for all loading & unloading?   Obviously  the winch facilitates the loading of inoperable vehicles.

The load angle of most rollbacks is far less than  the steep road grade street parking in a few local towns ( North Bergen, Ridgefield NJ).   Transmission parking pawl failures are very rare, but possible,  just as likely as a winch cable or winch failure 

An “experienced operator”  should be able to determine loading method on a case-by-case basis

1 hour ago, Njsss said:

Anybody aware of any rollback manufacturers operating manual stating- winching is required for all loading & unloading?   Obviously  the winch facilitates the loading of inoperable vehicles.

The load angle of most rollbacks is far less than  the steep road grade street parking in a few local towns ( North Bergen, Ridgefield NJ).   Transmission parking pawl failures are very rare, but possible,  just as likely as a winch cable or winch failure 

An “experienced operator”  should be able to determine loading method on a case-by-case basis

I do agree with you on many points of your statement NJSS, Parking pawls are one of the strongest part of a drive line system and rarely fail. But worn linkage and cables connecting them to the selector do wear and fail regularly. That is where my concern is as far as on-vehicle failure. And as far as i know there is no literature printed by any manufactures that state vehicles must be winched on or off. But there are many factors that need to be weighed to decide if a vehicle can or should be driven on/off. Sadly, this industry does not have enough "experienced or skilled operators" in it to make that decision in my opinion. Winches fail, hydraulics fail, there is always a "what if" factor involved in what we do. I still feel it is best to use all your available equipment to perform your duties. So, I still stand by my statement. To me, It is just unprofessional looking to drive on/off. Not to knock anyone who does. It is your gear, its your choice. I will continue to winch and so will anyone who ever works for me.

I always winch on. There are many stories about accidents, damaged vehicles and worse related to driving a vehicle onto the deck. One of the biggest dangers I see is getting out of a vehicle on a tilted deck. In addition to the slip & fall hazard, if the vehicle slides or rolls backward, that open door will get you. We learn from our mistakes, close calls, etc. We should be willing to learn from other people's mistakes, as well, so we don't have to learn the hard way!

Light duty towing & recovery in Whitehall MT since 1980.