Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Standard pull towards you or reverse rollover training.

How many train for reverse rollover? I see many pulling towards you but rarely see a reverse rollover. When pulling towards you the car may slide towards you if on a slippery surface, a reverse rollover does not have a choice but to roll. There is always a place for both techniques in the "toolbox" as the more options you have the safer, more efficient you can operate but if you ever have tried to roll a car off its lid towards you on an ice roadway you will appreciate the reverse rollover.

• Like 1

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island

I'd say a good 75% of my rollovers are reverse. The only real exceptions are when they're far off the road in the woods, in which case I roll them whichever way I have access. I'm my eyes you can't beat the reverse roll, I have yet to have one fight me to come over. 

• Like 1

I am at probably 50/50. I do prefer the reverse roll mainly because it is certainly gonna come over. With a direct or front roll there is always that chance it is gonna put up a fight or slide. I always try, when possible to roll it back over the way it rolled in thus, In theory preventing further damage if possible. Of course Usually if it is on its lid then there is damage on all sides of the casualty so it doesnt really matter if I roll it back the way it went in per-say. I guess it is just one of my O.C.D. things.. i have been told by my wife and my sons the O.C.D. is getting worse the older I get. 🤔

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Every operator should be able to reverse roll and to employ a catch-line like we've discussed. I have a lengthy segment on Day-2 hands-on for forward and rearward rolls. To make a simple rollover scenario more difficult ... and if you have a boom-truck to play with, I include a reverse roll telling those working the roll that the winch / cable is broken, but the hydraulics still work. That being the case, I have them rig chain only to provide lift with the boom to create the roll in the same manner the cable would do. While it's something that most likely will never happen, it's fun to watch some of those know it all big-rig drivers work this light-duty problem. It's all about the fun and learning how different systems and a little creativity garners the best results. I prefer reverse rolls especially with a twin-winch catch line.      R. 

Randall C. Resch

Training today for a reverse rollover, discussed truck positioning, moving the vehicle into a position where its good for you after rolled, ie easy to hook & go, straps, securing rigging, working on incline, holding options including wheel chocks, parking brake cable ratchet strap, manually putting transmission in park from linkage at trans, chaining spoked wheels like pictured, shock load ie lowering boom once the roll has committed.

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

• Like 2

Training today for a standard rollover, discussed truck positioning, moving the vehicle into a position where its good for you after rolled, ie easy to hook & go, straps, securing rigging, working on incline, holding options including wheel chocks, parking brake cable ratchet strap, manually putting transmission in park from linkage at trans, chaining spoked wheels like pictured, high pull for initial lift & low pull point for spiking the low side tires into the ground. A good afternoon.

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Uzek for sharing your techniques. A photo essay is a great way for onlookers to see what you can do. May I add four more, "should be's", when stretched cable is the rigging set-up? ... chocks to help hold the wrecker in-place, an orange noodle on the cable to identify stretched cable, add six cones to identify the work-zone, and lastly, the tower puts their foot on-top of the control-side dually rim to feel movement of the wrecker and push-way if the truck were to break away. Sure, all that takes time, but hourly rates are typically being charged one doesn't have to hussle like it's necessary on quick clear. I've never used a reverse roll for quick clear.      R. 

Edited by rreschran
Spelling
  • Like 1

Randall C. Resch

1 hour ago, rreschran said:

Thanks Uzek for sharing your techniques. A photo essay is a great way for onlookers to see what you can do. May I add four more, "should be's", when stretched cable is the rigging set-up? ... chocks to help hold the wrecker in-place, an orange noodle on the cable to identify stretched cable, add six cones to identify the work-zone, and lastly, the tower puts their foot on-top of the control-side dually rim to feel movement of the wrecker and push-way if the truck were to break away. Sure, all that takes time, but hourly rates are typically being charged one doesn't have to hussle like it's necessary on quick clear. I've never used a reverse roll for quick clear.      R. 

All good info. In addition I am lucky to have great support from our local Fire Department & Sheriffs Office for traffic control on our narrow country roads. There has not been a time where one or both agencies have not responded to my request for traffic control or for shutting down one or both lanes. Agreed on the wheel chock, There is one on the passenger side rear of the truck for the standard rollover as it was on a grade, the reverse was on level ground, either way the parking brake & Mico Lock brakes are always set as redundancy in this truck. Nothing like training in private so you don't endanger or make a fool of yourself in public:)

Thanks what I miss about working and living in small towns. Towers are lucky to get support from LE and the FD is usually too busy. Smart choice having the Mico Lock to help hold your truck's in-place. Have a great weekend.     R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch