Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

How much does it cost for a tow truck body?

Hi I am thinking about purchasing 18 or 19 ft carrier or a wrecker unit for a cab and chassis that I have already. The truck is a 1996 Chevy 3500 HD with a 15000 lb GVWR manual transmission diesel engine. The truck has the super long wheelbase option from the factory. I have been looking around at different manufacturers and bodies but it seems like the entire industry has made the prices a secret. I have my own shop and I could probably install the body by myself but I'm wondering what the price range is or a new one. I would like to be educated before I call different dealerships because I would have no idea if they're quoting me a fair price or not. Has anyone purchased a body recently that they could give me an example of what the going price is. the repo style units I have been looking at or jeer Dan mpl40 but that's only because there's a dealer very close to my house and that's what they have out front. Someone else suggested they are Vulcan 882 which I really do like as well and have seen on other similar trucks to mine. Strapless wheel lift seems very convenient. If a new body is out of my price range then I'm a search for something used but I really need to no where the price have a new body starts before I go that route. Thanks for any and all info

Look on the Website of yhe manufacturer once you select a bed. I would NOT get a 19' bed. I would put a vulcan 882 with a tunnel box on that cab and chassis. Personally, I prefer the Vulcan beds. The 882 is a twin line. It is a beast. You might consider attending a tow show close to your are as well. There you will meet dealers who can give you a locked in price. You will also get a real feel for whom you are dealing with.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:12 PM, goodmichael said:

Look on the Website of yhe manufacturer once you select a bed. I would NOT get a 19' bed. I would put a vulcan 882 with a tunnel box on that cab and chassis. Personally, I prefer the Vulcan beds. The 882 is a twin line. It is a beast. You might consider attending a tow show close to your are as well. There you will meet dealers who can give you a locked in price. You will also get a real feel for whom you are dealing with.

I found a 1993 3500 HD long wheelbase with a Vulcan 894 wrecker body that has been fully restored. The truck looks like brand new. The guy is asking 16500. The truck is nice but it is a 1993 and it has about a hundred and sixty thousand miles on it. I looked up the specs on this wrecker body and I'm surprised they put something so heavy duty on this chassis.

12 hours ago, Christian Orban said:

I found a 1993 3500 HD long wheelbase with a Vulcan 894 wrecker body that has been fully restored. The truck looks like brand new. The guy is asking 16500. The truck is nice but it is a 1993 and it has about a hundred and sixty thousand miles on it. I looked up the specs on this wrecker body and I'm surprised they put something so heavy duty on this chassis.

That was the way things were back in the day. A lot of units were overbuilt on chassis that they werent meant for really. It wasnt till the 5500/550 chassis came about that they were more equally matched.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE