Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

My Father's Day Message to Dad

WildwoodJack

To me ... "Happy Father's Day", is MORE than words. I write this sentiment as I remember and share about my Dad. He's long since passed away. I remember Dad as my number-one mentor; one who taught me right from wrong, to treat others with respect, and that my word is my bond. I'm greatful for all of his leadership and tough-love that made me who I am today. For those years he deployed away from home, and then being a tow owner too boot, I still miss his throaty laugh and the smell of his nasty cigars.  Dad set an example that I've followed in my life's path. He taught me self-restraint, love, humility and (some) patience. He even taught me how to sweep without stirring a bunch of dust. I close my eyes and see his boots stowed next to his favorite chair where he'd speed-nap while awaiting his next call. As a teen, we didn't always see eye to eye, perhaps his way of thinking made better sense. I clearly remember one of his world famous, ten-pound butt-chewings, he gave me when I brush-painted the tow truck's rims the wrong-shade of AAA blue. At ten-year's old, what did I know about corporate blue? Was he direct? Yep! Was he stern? Yep! He was a straight-shooter and you ALWAYS knew where you stood with him. Even my friends were a little bit scared to talk with him because of his size. The consumate jokester, he'd look you straight in the eyes, and ask, "Do ya' want me to cut yer' hair cut", and then turn and laugh as he walked away. 

Dad's military picture sits in a place of honor in our home and there's not a single day goes by that I don't think of him. I remember his six-foot-four frame jumping out of a box on Christmas Day ... he wasn't supposed to be home for three more months. He lives-on through my stories of growing up where I've shared my recollections of my early years with my kids and grandkids ... Dad would be proud of all of them.  So, if you're lucky enough to have your father still with you, give him a hug and tell him you love him. Life's too short to let the petty creep-in. And, to that I say, "Thank You Ray", for your guidance, your friendship and simply being the only man I'm proud to call my Dad. You're always in my heart and I treasure the thought of being with you again one day. I miss you. I love you. Happy Father's Day.     R.

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch

Beautifully written Mr. Resch. Your memories of your father remind me of growing up with my military / tow dad. It is funny how as kids/teens we can think how our fathers were hard, unforgiving and intrusive into our know-it-all lives.. I sit back now and think back to those days of the stern talks or the " what were you thinking" swat to the back of the head. I get it now Dad..And I thank you for making me the man I am today.... I hope I have made you proud 

Rest easy Master Sgt. Clyde(Frankie) F. Cermak, SOG-MAC-V / RECONDO 82nd airborne - US Army  10/15/47- 12/20/01   

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE