Quantcast
News Ticker
Towgirl4

Ting noise at takeoff

Okay my Ford dealership is still scratching their head. So I am hoping someone might have ran across this problem. My 2014 F550 makes a “ting” noise when you start moving both forward and reverse. They have had the truck in 3 times and have everything check or replaced in the entire drive shaft. I guess their next step they want to do is replace the entire driveshaft. Anyone run across this? I would like to have my truck problem free before winter starts it only has 58K. The noise started around 50k.and had a driveshaft replaced about 40K.

There was a service bulletin for some of the lighter duty rear wheel drive fords some time back which was supposedly resolved by placing a heavy grease in the splines of the yoke underneath the boot. Sounds like possibly a universal joint. Request that the dealership use the chassis ears and then test drive the vehicle. Was driveshaft balanced? I would also check to ensure that the correct universal joints were installed.

Could be coming from the pumpkin also.

I really have a hard time trusting technicians today.  Just because you go to the dealership, it does not ensure that you are getting top notch work.

Ford does not require ASE certifications, they certify their people internally.

You know our '15 550 does the same thing. I could only guess it's in the driveshaft by the sound. But with 104k in here and no change in the noise not to worried about it. I do wonder what is causing it maybe the splines (no idea what that section is called that allows for suspension travel) in the last section could be my first guess.

I would confirm torque on the pinion nut & the trans/transfer case output yoke nut, one of those may be loose enough for the yoke to rock in the splines causing that noise which will transfer throughout the driveshaft & make it difficult to pinpoint source by ear.. 

It's a strange tink noise has done it ever since day one on the truck. Would think of the torque was not enough after 100k something should of went. But a good idea to check.

My 2001 F550 had done the same thing since new, thought it was just normal until I did the clutch at 50,000 miles & found the transfer case output yoke had play, torqued the nut to spec with loc tight & all is good.

Two things I do not have is a manual or a transfer case in this 550. But not a bad idea to check the output on the trans or the pinion on the diff.

The dealer should be able to print you a copy of the spec and or measurement for both from the workshop manual. If they can not fix the problem, request that they contact a field service representative. They also have a hotline where they can contact the engineers at Ford.

Once I have a slow day and the truck sits I'll be sure to look into it Mike. Im usually the main driver in it. But only hear the tinks when going from reverse to drive mostly in a situation where a hill is involved (needing torque) or a heavy foot is implied between forward and reverse.