Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow truck driver struck, killed by big rig on I-10 W (CA)

TowNews

38727989_652057858502979_629134078750228

CABAZON, Calif.- - A man is dead near Cabazon after being struck by a big rig truck on I-10 W west

of Haugen Lehmann Way. The victim, a tow truck driver, was struck by the truck while standing on

the shoulder outside of his work vehicle. 

The crash was reported at 9:09 a.m. 9 firefighters and 3 fire engines responded to the scene. 

It is unclear at this time what caused the crash. There is no information on additional injuries. 

The big rig truck that struck the pedestrian is on the scene. 

CHP is investigating the incident. 

RESOURCE LINK with images

Tow truck driver struck, killed by big rig on I-10 near Cabazon

A 50-year-old Cabazon man working for Stagecoach Towing was struck and killed by a big rig Tuesday morning

as he was climbing back into his tow truck near Cabazon, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The accident happened at 9 a.m., two miles east of Main Street near Cabazon.

Marco Rodriguez, 52, from Riverside, was driving a big rig in the slow lane on westbound I-10. The tow truck driver

had parked his flatbed tow truck on the north asphalt shoulder of I-10 westbound and got out of the driver's seat.

There were no disabled vehicles in the area and it is unknown why the tow truck driver stopped on the shoulder of the

freeway. The driver of the big rig allowed his vehicle to drift onto the north shoulder as he approached the tow truck.

At that same time, the tow truck driver was climbing back into the driver's eat when the right side of the big rig collided

with the opened tow truck door and driver.

The tow truck driver was thrown from the side of the truck and into the slow lane of westbound Interstate 10. A passing

motorist stopped and pulled the man from the traffic lanes.

Cal Fire arrived on scene, but the tow truck driver, identified as Jon Israel, was deceased.  The westbound No. 4 lane was

closed for three hours during the investigation.

Alcohol and drugs have been ruled out as a factor in the collision. No arrests or citations were made at the scene.

The big rig is undergoing a mechanical inspection.

RESOURCE LINK

This incident was the 2nd tow operator hit in California in 6 1/2 hours. The operator in San Diego was transported to Scripps Hospital in critical conditions to his legs.  Christine and I offer our prayers to the families and companies involved.     R.

Randall C. Resch

Archived