Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Daniel Coady was killed responding to multi-car crash on I-495 (MA)

TowZone

ANDOVER, MA — State police have identified the man who was killed in a five-car crash on Interstate 495 late Wednesday night as Daniel Coady of North Andover. The tow truck responded to the crash around 11 p.m. Wednesday on I-495 south in Andover.

Coady, 41, was a tow truck operator for Coady's Towing in Lawrence.

According to police, Coady responded to a two-car crash in the breakdown lane on I-495 near Andover late Wednesday night. Coady was loading a vehicle from the first crash onto his tow truck in the breakdown lane when a 2007 Pontiac G6 hit an unoccupied BMW that was also in the breakdown lane. The Pontiac then hit the tow truck and Coady.

At around 11 p.m. Coady was taken to Saint's Memorial Hospital in Lowell and pronounced dead.

A 44-year-old tow truck operator who had been helping Coady load the tow truck sustained minor injuries from the crash and was taken to Lowell General Hospital.

A 28-year-old Lawrence woman who had been driving the Pontiac was taken to Lowell General Hospital with serious injuries she sustained from the crash. The 26-year-old woman who had been driving the Hyundai did not sustain any injuries in the crash.

An employee of Coady's Towing declined to comment on the crash Thursday afternoon.

The crash remains under investigation by state police.

RESOURCE LINK

Woman charged with drunken driving in crash that killed tow truck driver

Charges have been filed in connection with a crash that took the life of a Massachusetts father. 

Daniel Coady, 41, of North Andover was struck while responding to a crash in the southbound lanes of Interstate 495 in Andover Wednesday night. In that initial crash, two vehicles collided and no one was injured, Massachusetts State Police said.

As Coady was loading one of the vehicles on his flatbed shortly before 11 p.m., he was struck by a Pontiac. State Police say Coady was standing on the left side of his truck in the breakdown lane when he was hit. The Pontiac, which also struck both cars involved in the earlier crash, was then hit by a Hyundai SantaFe. 

The driver of the Pontiac - Shiina Dionne, a 28-year-old woman from Lawrence - has been charged with drunken driving and motor vehicle homicide, reports CBS Boston.

Coady was transported to Saint's Memorial Hospital in Lowell where he was declared dead. Another tow-truck operator, who was on top of the flatbed during the crash, suffered minor injuries. Dionne was transported with serious injuries. She will be arraigned from her hospital bed at Tufts Medical Center on Friday. 

She is charged with operating under the influence, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence, speeding, failure to wear a seatbelt and obstructing a stationary emergency vehicle. 

Coady worked for his family's company, Coady's Garage & Towing Service, which has locations in Boston, Cambridge and Lawrence. He leaves behind a wife and children. 

RESOURCE LINK

Today has been a tough day.  What horrible news to wake up to.  I knew Danny like many others did.  In case you don't know, Danny was Frank's nephew.  I can remember a few times that Danny parked behind me in the breakdown lane on the highway, as an added measure of safety for me while I was loading a car.  I have also done that for others.  He was a good guy and a good operator.  He will be sorely missed.  RIP Danny.

Archived